Who responsiable for the graffti on my wall. Council owned alleyway.

Options
13»

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?.
    It's not like that at all.

In that situation, you know who chucked the rubbish into your garden, so you could force him, one way or another, to clear it up.

Unfortunately if you do not know who put the graffiti on your wall, you will have to stand the cost of putting things right.

If i chucked rubbish in the alley would the coucil clean it?.
    Most probably, unless they could determine that it was you who put the rubbish there.

If they could identify you as the guilty party, then I would expect the council to prosecute you for either littering or fly-tipping.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes and a thorny one at that.

Public footpath and bridleway running along the side of my house. 15 foot high hawthorn hedge. Zero graffiti and zero intruders in 13 years.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    I have adt and a cctv system. I pay £39 for adt a month. They charged me £45 to changed the batteries. They have loads of hidden charges. Charges for fobs for examples.

In 13 years I've had to pay twice to have the back up battery replaced. That's it. Twice yearly system tests are free, as are replacements for faulty equipment. I've never come across any hidden charges, apart from when they inadvertently changed the monitoring phone line from a free phone to a chargeable number and they changed it back and refunded the 2 months worth of twice daily call charges when I complained.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered painting the wall with something such as this:
    http://www.antigraffitipaint.co.uk/

That, along with a cctv camera (either real or just a dummy one) may make the vandals move elsewhere if they see their efforts being removed on a regular basis but I suppose it's possible that it has the opposite effect if they see it as a challenge.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    It's like saying If my neighbour chucked rubbish into my garden would I need to clean it?
    Yes you would as it is on your property.

Graffiti or fly tipping on PRIVATE property is the property owners responsibility to clean it up, if the graffiti was sprayed on the footpath then it would be upto the local authority to clean it, but as it is on YOUR property then it is upto you to clean up
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered painting the wall with something such as this:
    http://www.antigraffitipaint.co.uk/

That, along with a cctv camera (either real or just a dummy one) may make the vandals move elsewhere if they see their efforts being removed on a regular basis but I suppose it's possible that it has the opposite effect if they see it as a challenge.
    you forgot to mention she could also get a £10 motion sensor outdoor light, so would light up if anyone entered her property
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the response guys. It's private property but the people who are doing the graffti are doing it from the alleyway as the alleyway is a path by our house so my wall and neighbour wall is exposed. If we did'nt have the alleyway we would'nt have graffti. I don't think they would lock the alleyway as it very popular.

The other house across the alleyway has had the side on top of the fence grafftied. That is'nt the only problem as my neighbour propertry has also been burgulared. The alleyway connets to the other side of the road and both of these houses have also been robbed. Some one knock on my door around 10pm at night and ran off. We did'nt have any lights on so I am sure that they where trying to get in.

When you say people sitting in the alleyway, doing graffiti etc....do you mean kids?

Just everything you describe sounds quite typical of the teenagers round here. They tend to sit in places like the alleyway you describe so they're not out in the open/get a bit of shelter from the weather.

Plus knocking the door and running away is a favourite game for kids to play.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Iamfineyesterday
    Options
    can't really sit in the alleyway but they gather in groups standing against the wall. They used to be a lot of teens but all i see now is middle ages men mostly polish having a beer. They like to chill in the alley and as i live in london it's in one of the businest street and expensive so it bring the area down. Our neighbours had people peaking into the house at night. It's generally safe but has gotten a bit unsafe .

I own a dog so that could be why we have'nt been targeted like our neighbours. I knew this was a risk when buying the house 12 years ago but the house has gone up in value x 4 I paid for it. That show the areas good but can be visited by some unruly characters.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    can't really sit in the alleyway but they gather in groups standing against the wall. They used to be a lot of teens but all i see now is middle ages men mostly polish having a beer. They like to chill in the alley and as i live in london it's in one of the businest street and expensive so it bring the area down. Our neighbours had people peaking into the house at night. It's generally safe but has gotten a bit unsafe .

I own a dog so that could be why we have'nt been targeted like our neighbours. I knew this was a risk when buying the house 12 years ago but the house has gone up in value x 4 I paid for it. That show the areas good but can be visited by some unruly characters.

Did you really want to know about the Graffitti (most would know that if it is your property it is your problem) or just to make some other point.

PS
    I also live next to a footpath, I put in a laurel hedge with a few thorny bushes inbetween, its now 6ft high, no graffiti
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    It may be the council's responsibility. A neighbour of mine had graffiti scrawled on his rear garden wall that was painted white. The council came and covered it up with more white paint. Said "artist" came back and re-tagged it. This went on for months. Eventually it stopped, I think the kid probably grew out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure