50mph on motorway due to road works

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    "50mph on your speedometer is not 50mph, probably closer to 45mph."

Really ? maybe on a morris minor but most car Speedo's are very accurate up to 80 at least.

There are lots of "You are doing" "30 / 40 / 50" signs "happy", "sad face" by me and even my old cars are accurate enough that I would never play the dangerous 10% game. What if they are reading 10% under ???

Yes really, my Mondeo is slightly more accurate than my Vectra was, but real 70mph is still just over 75 on the dial.

Most cars over read to be on the safe side.

Those signs are rarely accurate at all, people seem to think that setting them a few mph lower is going to make a difference, but all it does is make me ignore them.

They're about as accurate as some silly old cow I encountered last week, standing by the road in her village, waving her arms in an angry "slow down" motion at cars going past, despite the fact we we're doing around 25mph..... She got the middle finger and a "rev bomb" from me.

If i'm doing something wrong, then fine, but when i'm driving carefully and i'm being told that i'm speeding when i'm not, then that's just going to get my back up.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Really? I guess it depends on whether you believe the accuracy of GPS reading versus speedo reading. On my car ...
    Speedo GPS
    32     30
    43     40
    53     50
    64     60
    75     70

Similar to mine, although I haven't actually tested it, but just noticed how it reads against the GPS at various times.
    I don't think I've ever known an unmodded car that didn't read that way.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    "50mph on your speedometer is not 50mph, probably closer to 45mph."

Really ? maybe on a morris minor but most car Speedo's are very accurate up to 80 at least.

There are lots of "You are doing" "30 / 40 / 50" signs "happy", "sad face" by me and even my old cars are accurate enough that I would never play the dangerous 10% game. What if they are reading 10% under ???

Wrong. My Minor's Speedo is more accurate than my everyday driver.:)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wrong. My Minor's Speedo is more accurate than my everyday driver.:)

Current regulations forbid a speedo to under-read, so manufacturers will aim to over-read slightly.

When your Minor was built, the regs allowed 10% either way, so the makers aimed for accuracy.

However, the ability of Morris/BMC/BL actually to achieve that consistently is another question! Probably just luck in your case.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got GPS but assume that the lorries with their calibrated tachographs have more accurate speedos than me, so if one starts to gain on me I just edge up an mph or two.

I'm not sure how accurate those roadside speed indicators are but they imply my speedo overreads, so I think I'm safe in allowing a very small margin of error.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got GPS but assume that the lorries with their calibrated tachographs have more accurate speedos than me, so if one starts to gain on me I just edge up an mph or two.

The lorry may have an accurate speedo, but that doesn't mean it's doing 50. The driver knows he can drive flat out at an accurate 56, since the starting point for prosecution is 57. So you'll be on the brink of the prosecution limit ....
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    My merc was always within 2 mph so an indicated 57 was actually 55. My new car the Mazda CX-5 is about 4mph out from what I've seen.

As far as the OP is concerned, it al depends what other traffic is around, and how far the HGV driver has got in his overtake. If you have someone up your chuff it leaves yo with little choice.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Why are you in the outside lane? If the truck is on your tail it would suggest the inside lane is free.

The rule keep left unless overtaking should be adhered to.

You aren't attempting to be a speed limit vigilante are you?

thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Trucks aren't allowed in the outside lane.
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rule 168
    Being overtaken.
    If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Then, when it is clear, overtake the lorry.
    A witty saying proves nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport