Ex Wife trying yet again to bleed him dry. URGENT

Hello all,
I'm sorry to have this as an 'urgent' thread, but it's appeared as the proverbial bolt out of the blue.

My partner's ex wife won virtually everything from my partner when she divorced him 2 years ago. Half his pension, the house and ALL it's value, and contents. He left the marriage with nothing.

Now - she's VERY money oriented, down to the last 51p, which was the monthly increase to her half of his pension earlier this year - she sent a recorded letter demanding her share. At the end of May this year, my partner received a letter from an organisation (cannot remember the name) informing him he had a very small pension pot, total value £500. The Divorce paperwork stated that it would be a clean break, and that she would have no further monetary claims on him in future.

She has now approached him, accusing him of hiding this pension. Well, he HASN'T tried hiding anything, because he wasn't aware of it until the letter arrived in May informing him!

She only contacts him through his son via facebook. At the end of the communication, she confirmed her Solicitor advised her to contact him, and if my partner ignores her message, she will go back to the Solicitor and he will take the matter to court.

My question is this. SHOULD he ignore her? WILL the matter return to court? He DID NOT hide anything, as I've said. And the whole amount is ONLY £500!!

What should he do please?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A deal is a deal.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If this were me I'd send her £250 and enter into no further communication. She probably likes to annoy you both ( which seems to be working). Sending her the money - preferably in a nice card wishing her well (yes passive aggressive!) is probably not what she really wants. What she probably wants is a fight and to wind you up, so beat her to it and show you are not bothered.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The solicitor will say in any letter whatever she instructs them to say, whether it's likely to happen or not and she probably could take him to court if she was so inclined. Whether she would win is an entirely different question.
    Can he get half an hour free legal advice to find out a little more about his options? Possibly from a different solicitor to the one who appears to have had the wife walk away with more than the husband in the previous financial settlement.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • linclass
    linclass Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lovely! Thanks for these answers. Think the best to do next, is the half hour free session with a Solicitor. We don't have huge funds (he left with NOTHING remember - not even his power tools!! She sold them...) The only question is, whether she's ENTITLED to the £250. As I said, he didn't hide anything, it was a surprise when he got the letter.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There is a board on here for Pensions, Annuities, etc. It might be worth asking on there
  • emmatthews
    emmatthews Posts: 678 Forumite
    How did she even find out about it?
  • linclass
    emmatthews wrote: »
    How did she even find out about it?

We 'suspect' it's one of the siblings wife - but of course cannot be certain. It's such a piffling amount but, believe me, when my partner received the recorded letter demanding half of the yearly wage rise (51p per month) we just rolled about laughing. That letter cost more than 51p !!!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be prepared for more letters from the ex as she will now be suspicious that as he forgot to declare one marital asset that there might be other money he has conveniently forgotten to declare.
  • linclass
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Be prepared for more letters from the ex as she will now be suspicious that as he forgot to declare one marital asset that there might be other money he has conveniently forgotten to declare.

But he didn't KNOW about this pension before this company - Just found the letter, from B&CE benefit scheme informing him of it in June! They divorced in 2015. Believe me - SHE was the handler of EVERYTHING financial. She knew to the last penny how much was in their joint (and only) bank account.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    linclass wrote: »
    But he didn't KNOW about this pension before this company - Just found the letter, from B&CE benefit scheme informing him of it in June! They divorced in 2015. Believe me - SHE was the handler of EVERYTHING financial. She knew to the last penny how much was in their joint (and only) bank account.

That's not what she's going to believe. All she knows is that she has heard about some money which should have been declared during the divorce, but wasnt, and will wonder what else has been withheld.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure