IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UK Parking Patrol Office Ltd - Need some advice

Options
dat_geezer
dat_geezer Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 18 October 2017 at 10:45AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all,

Firstly, I've read through many posts and stickies but haven't been able to find anything similar to the situation I'm in so was wondering if someone could give their 2 cents on the matter, or point me in the right direct and I can do some hard reading!

Fortunately (or unfortunately), it's not the first one I've had from a PPC so I've known how to appeal and get the invoice cancelled. Long story short, I appealed on their website.

After not hearing from them after a few weeks and the subsequently receiving the first letter, I emailed them again to ask why I've not heard back from them, yet I sent the appeal through the website and they sent over the letter and they responded by saying they hadn't received my appeal, hence the letter. Worth mentioning at this point that they accepted it was their fault and the website had some problems.

At this point I probably should've sent them a response on the appeal, but I just emailed them back advising that I don't have a copy of the original appeal and what I can do - but I never received a reply back...

Next thing I know, I receive a letter from the DRP Ltd advising to pay £160 or face court :(

I've been in contact with UK PPO Ltd and explained that as I didn't get the chance to appeal and the fact that they admitted to the website being faulty, whether I was able to appeal again and they said no and the case has been referred to the DRP Ltd. So I can't go to POPLA due to there being no appeal and it doesn't seem like UK PPO Ltd are willing to cancel or accept any of the reasons provided.

Many thanks!

**************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone,

After ignoring letters from DRP and Zenith, I now have my first letter from Gladstones.

This is just another warning to advise I have 14 days before they may pursue court action, but as the reasons above, this situation is one that seems to be getting more worrying after each letter, which I believe is what they're aiming for.

My question is, do I ignore and wait for an LBC or try to communicate and name the driver to 'reset'? not sure if I have a strong case if I'm being honest, but I am willing to fight as far as I can as go as I do believe the charges are unacceptable.

Thanks

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Did you give away the driver's identity like you did in your post here. If the scammers don't know the driver's identity, then edit your post to remove information about who did what.

Most of your other questions are answered by the Sticky thread for NEWBIES. Pay particular attention to the bit about why it is safe to ignore debt collectors.

UKPPO are IPC members, so PoPLA was never on offer.
    It looks like you may have been looking at out of date information.

If the scammers know who was driving, the RK is completely out of the equation. If it goes to court it will be with the driver, not the RK.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • dat_geezer
    edited 7 July 2017 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Hey Fruitcake,

No I didn't provide any driver info - I'm not sure what you mean as I didn't give away the drivers identity in my post?

Sorry yeah I knew they were IPC members, but thought POPLA was still an option...oops.

So the problem with the stick thread is that it talks about appealing...but I wasn't able to appeal as their website didn't receive it and they admitted that it was having issues, but by that time, I was already issued the first letter and now I have the DRP letter.

Appreciate the process says to ignore the DRP letters or to respond robustly and I'm leaning towards the response option, but having not gone through the appeal process, will I have any leg to stand on?

Also, I am aware that they have no authority in sending over bailiffs and all that lark.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    There's no advice on here to respond at all to any drp correspondence.

You need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
  • dat_geezer
    Options
    I didn't list any details of who was driving, but I've edited it now so hopefully OK?

The DRP correspondence response was taken from the Newbie sticky thread:

"If you have letters from any debt collector such as Debt Recovery Plus or Zenith and are on the face of it, too late to 'appeal', then (if in England/Wales) either ignore them or robustly respond"

unless this is now outdated info?

Cheers
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:16PM
    Options
    So the problem with the stick thread is that it talks about appealing...but I wasn't able to appeal as their website didn't receive it and they admitted that it was having issues, but by that time, I was already issued the first letter and now I have the DRP letter.
    Whether you appealed or not, you surely knew you had absolutely no chance of a successful outcome from it - didn't you?

We only recommend sending in the initial appeal to an IPC member to show you have made some attempt to resolve the issue should it ever get to a court stage. It's not with any hope that it will persuade the PPC to issue a cancellation.

If you want to go through the process of 'making some attempt to resolve the issue' (futile, but going through the motions), neither they, nor anyone else, can stop you sending in an appeal now. So do it if you wish, but have no expectation of any success whatsoever.

Getting yourself involved in appealing this prematurely has been an error. In what capacity are you corresponding with the PPC? If you're not the RK, who are you?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • dat_geezer
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Hey Umkomass,

Yes I agree the appeal would be less than successful, but it has been advised to appeal using their website/email/post - at which stage, is maybe where I got confused.

Technically though, I didn't get to appeal as they never received it?

I am open to ignore all correspondence, but considering I can't post the reasons on who did what, I think it's probably going down that path.

I'm corresponding via email - and I am the son of the RK who is dealing with it all.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Technically though, I didn't get to appeal as they never received it?
    You can do it now if you wish - but you'll be told it's too late, but you are attempting to follow due process.

But I'm still confused as to in what capacity you are doing this. Has the RK received anything from UKPPO?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• dat_geezer
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    You can do it now if you wish - but you'll be told it's too late, but you are attempting to follow due process.

But I'm still confused as to in what capacity you are doing this. Has the RK received anything from UKPPO?

I'm slightly confused too, I've been advised I can't say who did what and I've tried to PM you to discuss but you're not accepting PMs, probably for this reason lol...but basically the RK wasn't driving? If I'm allowed to say that.

Also they've received the first letter Reminder notice and then a further letter from DRP
  • Umkomaas
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:58PM
    Options
    If they're corresponding with the RK, then he/she can deal with this with some protection afforded by the Protection of Freedoms Act. There's nothing to stop you doing all the work, but everything should go out in the name of the RK.

Alternatively, to take the RK out of the loop, he/she would have to formally write to the PPC and provide them with the name and address for service of the driver. This could reset the clock if the PPC swallow this and would open the way for the driver to appeal to UKPPO, but there would be no PoFA protection. But even the driver appealing would receive the same guaranteed rejection, and in my view opens them up for a more likely court pursuit. But as it was a windscreen ticket, the PPC might argue the driver has had their chance and continue to pursue the RK.

There's no 'hybrid' position, as you (and the RK?) currently appear to think, through which this can be dealt with.
    I've tried to PM you to discuss but you're not accepting PMs
    Always locked I'm afraid. From experience, either someone thinks because they have direct access they then 'own' you and demand instant and disproportionate levels of attention, or you expose yourself to a nutter trying to engage you, or a nasty PPC making threats. Most regulars similarly keep theirs locked too.

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    dat_geezer wrote: »
    I didn't list any details of who was driving, but I've edited it now so hopefully OK?
    You haven't sorted out your OP!

Remove references to who parked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family