We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Red lily beetle

Options
2»

Comments

• Justagardener
    Options
    I've squashed a lot of lily beetles and I've never heard them make a noise - maybe we have a non-squeaking strain round here. ***Thinks about torturing the next lily beetle to see if it will make a noise. Tempting, but decides against it.***

You may need your ear defenders for this poor lily beetle in Guantanamo bay:A
    https://youtu.be/mnMwbBgV_D4
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, tempting fate here, but has anyone else noticed that there are fewer lily beetles around this year? In fact, I've yet to see one, and my lilies will start flowering any day. Usually by this time I've been tapping and squishing for weeks.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Plenty here you can borrow if you are a bit short of them
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2017 at 5:19PM
    Options
    A little known fact: Lily beetles squeak quite loudly when under stress...so some gardeners find it quite difficult to squash them ! They are easy to capture or scrape into a jar and release in an unpopulated area.

Don't you dare do that. The Lily Beetle is not an indigenous UK species and releasing it falls foul of the law, especially as people doing that could potentially be responsible for the extinction of native British Fritillaries.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OK, tempting fate here, but has anyone else noticed that there are fewer lily beetles around this year? In fact, I've yet to see one, and my lilies will start flowering any day. Usually by this time I've been tapping and squishing for weeks.
    Fingers crossed here too, madjackslam! I planted mine in a tub by the back door this year so that I could keep an eye on them. The first one has flowered this morning and as yet... (I did give them a spray with provado at the first sign of a nibble early in the season so maybe that helped)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • olliebears
    olliebears Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Just a point, I spray my lilies as soon as they sprout and once every ten days with......WD40 under the leaves where the eggs are laid and larvae hide. Eggs soak up the oil and tend not to hatch. Adults don't like the oily surface and I get lovely lilies. Though fewer beetles about this year anyway. Be aware it's not just lilies they eat!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    olliebears wrote: »
    Just a point, I spray my lilies as soon as they sprout and once every ten days with......WD40 under the leaves where the eggs are laid and larvae hide.

I bet they are rust free as well:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Fingers crossed here too, madjackslam! I planted mine in a tub by the back door this year so that I could keep an eye on them. The first one has flowered this morning and as yet... (I did give them a spray with provado at the first sign of a nibble early in the season so maybe that helped)
    Like the rust-free comment, maybe I should be using it on some other plants! ;)
    Just thought that I'd update on my lily experiment. They've been absolutely beautiful this year. I don't know if that's down to the early spray of Provado thanks to the recommendation on this thread or maybe as someone else said, there are less of them this year? (I haven't seen one!)
    The only disappointment was that I discovered them blown over a couple of days ago due to strong winds and being a bit top-heavy. They are now weighed down by a paving slab on the back of them... Will learn lessons for next year :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure