Npower or SSE?

Currently duel fuel with EDF, looking to switch - Npower and SSE working out about the same cheapest cost - which would you go with? Or neither, wait a bit longer and hope for other competitive tariffs? I have found EDF very good and was with Ovo before, also very good.

Comments

• Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    NPower have a poor reputation. I would go for SSE.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm been with EDF 3 years now, but my deal runs out in July and their new tariffs are expensive. Got to say, I like being with EDF but money is money. I've also found that NP and SSE are in the right ball park for me, so would welcome any more pointers.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Currently duel fuel with EDF, looking to switch - Npower and SSE working out about the same cheapest cost - which would you go with? Or neither, wait a bit longer and hope for other competitive tariffs? I have found EDF very good and was with Ovo before, also very good.

Give us some details, and hopefully someone will assist you further.

Min. details required:
    Anticipated annual connsumption in kWh for each fuel
    Supply region (or first part of postcode)
    If on E7, please advise night useage as percentage of total
    If gas is supplied via an IGT, please advise.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Look at splitting them up rather than going straight for dual-fuel. You may be surprised.

As I write now the energy club tells me I can save £3 on dual, -£6 on gas and £51 on electricity (if I move to Powershop, which is a model I'm not sold on atm).
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I went to SSE in December last year and so far I have no complaints whatsoever.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 June 2017 at 2:54PM
    Thanks for comments on SSE :)
    Did use them many many years ago with no problems, but was just looking for up to date opinions.
    footyguy wrote: »
    Give us some details, and hopefully someone will assist you further.

Min. details required:
    Anticipated annual connsumption in kWh for each fuel
    Supply region (or first part of postcode)
    If on E7, please advise night useage as percentage of total
    If gas is supplied via an IGT, please advise.

Thanks, but I was just asking from a customer service/experience point of view. I've already "crunched the numbers" and it's Npower and SSE that work out cheapest out of what is currently available :)
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Look at splitting them up rather than going straight for dual-fuel. You may be surprised.

As I write now the energy club tells me I can save £3 on dual, -£6 on gas and £51 on electricity (if I move to Powershop, which is a model I'm not sold on atm).

Good idea, thanks :) I've checked and splitting them up doesn't lower the cost much. Scottish power for electric and Npower/SSE for gas would be £7 cheaper. Powershop would be £20 cheaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @2013year...
    You can get more cash back by using QUIDCO to switch through than the CEC.
    npower is £60 dual fuel, £30 single
    SSE up to £46.40 dual fuel, £23.20 single
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know this is not a popular view but my experience of nPower's customer service, while including some awful experiences, is largely good. Their online chat team leave a great deal to be desired but I hardly think they are unique in that, since these services always seem to be based overseas but their UK based phone customer service is usually (not always) pretty good and occasionally excellent, in my experience.

I am currently debating how much I would need to save to make it worthwhile switching supplier, given the hassle it can be. So far the best saving I can make is £17 per year for dual fuel; just not worth it, is it?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've already "crunched the numbers" and it's Npower and SSE that work out cheapest out of what is currently available :)
    Out of interest, what were those numbers (and other details) you crunched?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just switched back to npower (who I have criticised in the past) but so far things have happened like clockwork. (17 day switch, opening meter reading online within 2 days of submission, account fully opened on 19th day after initiating switch).
    Have been an SSE customer many moons ago and they are just like npower/E.ON.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure