PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Former tenant now wants bond back, advice please?

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    ....it may be worth you letting them take you to court. Otherwise, you could pay the full deposit back and in 6 months, they could still take you to court and you will still have to pay out a second time. Perhaps paying once might be better?
    I disagree.

scenario 1):
    pay the deposit back now in full. Get taken to court in 6 months. Judge sees the deposit has been returned in full so gives a nominal slap on the hand punishment - the minimum 1 times deposit

Scenario 2)
    Refuse to return the deposit and/or get into a dispute over the deductions. Get taken to court. Judge sees a landlord who is both evading the law by not protecting the deposit AND who is still witholding that deposit. Awards the tenant maximum penalty of 3 times the deposit.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    The OP has made a big mistake and is looking to try and mitigate. However, the issue at stake here is the legal costs. You can pretty much quantify what the Judge will award the tenant in this case; what you can't quantify is the legal fees that the OP will have to pay assuming the tenants go out of their way to find a good Housing solicitor, as opposed to a Jack of all trades who don't know what they are doing.

Ultimately, it's the OP's decision. Either way it is probably going to cost them dearly for not finding out what their legal obligations are as a landlord and executing them in a timely manner.

Let us hope they now go and seek some legal advice themselves rather than relying on the opinions of those on a forum.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't put it in the scheme I'm afraid.

Less Gin, more Milk then maybe...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another example of one day suddenly deciding to be a landlord without researxhing your responsibities.

Note to any potietnal lamdlords - research first.
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Gin_and_Milk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, I'm still booting myself in the shins for not putting it in the scheme. Returning the deposit isn't a problem as we still have it, but I just wanted to know where I stood because they told me in their text that we could keep it, then two months after leaving they now want it back, although they are aware that there are significant deductions due to the damage they've caused.

Thanks again
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Another example of one day suddenly deciding to be a landlord without researxhing your responsibities.

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the backstory as to how we ended up being landlords and it certainly wasn't a case of 'suddenly deciding' to be one.

I asked for advice, not snide comments.
  • sparky130a
    Options
    You have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the backstory as to how we ended up being landlords and it certainly wasn't a case of 'suddenly deciding' to be one.

I asked for advice, not snide comments.

To be fair to CJ...

It doesn't matter how LL status lands in your lap.

It comes with a shedload of responsibilities.

My father inherited a non payer and spent £10,000 getting him out.

Let that money go and sell. Unless you want a protracted argument.
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    I know it doesn't matter, but all I asked for was advice, not snarky comments. (I've never understood why people do it on forums).

There isn't much bond left to return; which they already acknowledge. In fact if we wanted to be hard nosed about it we'd charge them in full for the redecorating the living and dining rooms given that they didn't look after it. Given that the bond itself is £425 and the decorating alone cost quite a bit more. But no, I don't want a protracted argument, I simply wanted to know where I stood. And now I do.
    Thanks
  • sparky130a
    Options
    I know it doesn't matter, but all I asked for was advice, not snarky comments. (I've never understood why people do it on forums).

There isn't much bond left to return; which they already acknowledge. In fact if we wanted to be hard nosed about it we'd charge them in full for the redecorating the living and dining rooms given that they didn't look after it. Given that the bond itself is £425 and the decorating alone cost quite a bit more. But no, I don't want a protracted argument, I simply wanted to know where I stood. And now I do.
    Thanks

But you can't charge them.

You didn't protect the deposit. So just as they didn't fulfil they're obligations neither did you as a landlord.

Did you inherit the property?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Yes, it was. It really is that simple.

You call it "snarkiness", but it's actually a wake-up call for you. You should be accepting this in the spirit it's meant - helpfulness. You are facing a VERY expensive lesson through your naivety, and you appear to be refusing to accept that the lesson is required, let alone learn from it.

There are NO circumstances in which somebody wakes up one morning to find themselves having signed a tenancy they didn't know about on a property they didn't know they had. None. Zero. Impossible. Never happened. You made a conscious decision at some point to rent your property rather than sell it. You found tenants. You signed a tenancy. You accepted rent from them for an extended period. You declared that rent as income on your tax return (you did, didn't you?). You voluntarily undertook a business activity...

As far as your ex-tenant's deposit goes - it's very simple. You NEED to return 100% of their deposit to them, today, and cross your fingers very VERY hard that they don't follow the route they are legally entitled to do. Stop arguing about it. Stop with the lame "Well, they said I could". Just. Do. It. Now.

You then NEED to sit down and have a very hard think about whether you are going to continue in this line of business, but properly, or whether you are going to say enough is enough and get out of it. You need to do this before you get another tenant. If you have an ad running for the property, cancel it. If you have a tenant lined up, cancel them. If you have an agent searching, stop them. MAKE YOUR MIND UP if you're going to run this business PROPERLY, or not at all. There is no other option.

And, yes, it IS a business.

Edit: I've just noticed that you said you'd made that decision already, and were selling the property. OK, great. But take note in case it doesn't sell for the amount you want, and you're tempted to take it off the market. If it does sell, then this will act as a reminder for anybody else in your position of denial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure