PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conservatory or extension -Building regs?

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Secondly, to say that the reason that the installation company did not go for regs was to make it cheaper than a proper extension is proper nonsense,
    Surely it would more nonsensical if the [STRIKE]conservatory.[/STRIKE]sun room did comply with the regs and the builders didn't bother to obtain them?

It's logical to assume that they thought something wasn't good enough, though as no one here knows the spec, it's not possible to say any more than that.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Doozergirl. I really wanted someone to clarify the situation with BR's as I've checked many websites and spoken to people in the know and I can get NO definitive answer.I take issue with you on 2 points: I have tried to get and pay for professional advice but many surveyors don't want to know. I have arranged a homebuyers survey for next week -but I'm not sure whether they they will be able to tell me anything concrete. Secondly, to say that the reason that the installation company did not go for regs was to make it cheaper than a proper extension is proper nonsense, if you don't mind me saying. I don't really understand your snide comments on the roof construction.The extension has been built, it is very well built by a reputable company - with a 10 year warranty. I doubt that your Master Builders Award winning company would offer such a warranty/guarantee. I was merely asking for your advice on the building regs situation which you seem unable/unwilling to give.Many Thanks

First of all you have to understand that what you have is a conservatory as defined under Part L1B of the Bldg Regs, NOT an extension. There is no minimum size for an extension, which would have likely required more expensive insulation, glass etc to comply with Bldg Regs.

What you have is a conservatory (for which you can't get Bldg Regs as it won't comply under Part L1B) with a radiator that shouldn't have been installed in it. TRVs are not an acceptable method of isolation under Part L of the Bldg Regs - LABC shouldn't allow this, they are wrong.

Doesn't matter who built it or how reputable they are, it's still a conservatory and not an extension, and should be priced as such.

Surveyors don't generally understand all parts of a Bldg Regs, particularly not the energy related ones, so you've probably been asking the wrong people.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 May 2017 at 12:52AM
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Doozergirl. I really wanted someone to clarify the situation with BR's as I've checked many websites and spoken to people in the know and I can get NO definitive answer.I take issue with you on 2 points: I have tried to get and pay for professional advice but many surveyors don't want to know. I have arranged a homebuyers survey for next week -but I'm not sure whether they they will be able to tell me anything concrete. Secondly, to say that the reason that the installation company did not go for regs was to make it cheaper than a proper extension is proper nonsense, if you don't mind me saying. I don't really understand your snide comments on the roof construction.The extension has been built, it is very well built by a reputable company - with a 10 year warranty. I doubt that your Master Builders Award winning company would offer such a warranty/guarantee. I was merely asking for your advice on the building regs situation which you seem unable/unwilling to give.Many Thanks

I suspect the reason that you don't have a definitive reason is that you aren't hearing what you want to hear.

You should not be running your heating system into a conservatory. The point I make is that if it is connected up then the whole thing has to be classed as an extension. An extension is very much different to a conservatory. The chances of enforcement are slim, but the cheapest solution is to remove the radiator because it puts the building back to an exempt status - there are no expectations of it. It's not worth purchasing an indemnity policy for because the cost of removing the rad is potentially zero.

Many companies market that their 'buildings' are exempt from planning and building control. It is central to their marketing, along with the fact that they are cheaper than a correctly built, conforming extension. If they weren't cheaper than buildings which conform to building control then they would be blatantly ripping people off!

Guardian roofs themselves are designed to 'upgrade' conservatories at a high cost, when you are ultimately left with a building that is still not thermally efficient or compliant with regs, just 'exempt'. It might be better than polycarb, but the u-values achieved are insufficient for an extension. It is nonsensical to me to upgrade something at great cost for it to not conform or add value to a house. It is pure marketing.

Nothing snide about it. The owner of your home has essentially cheated in trying to create an extension. If their intention was to use it as a proper room with an insulated roof and heating connected to the boiler then it should be built to building regulations and have a completion certificate.

I am able offer a 10 year insurance backed guarantee on any work we carry out. My company will never offer a service that does not conform to building regulations. There's no nonsense there at all. Straight forward, high quality with a certificate at the end to say it has all been inspected and is compliant with the high levels expected in this country. No smoke and mirrors, no questions.

The very fact that this subject has a thread is because it is a problem. If your vendors has built a proper extension with a completion certificate? No thread. You're wanting this to be something it isn't. But it isn't even your house yet.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't exactly meet the requirements to be exempt.

Two options - either the radiator is removed (if this really is the one and only point which doesn't meet the criteria) or obtain an indemnity policy, paid for either by you or the seller.
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So,thanks Hoploz and Doozergirl, the extended heating into the extension IS the problem, is it? Removing it or isolating it would mean that it is exempt? The fact that the roof is not glazed is not a problem, just the heating? I realise that I'm being pedantic/picky but the house is not for me but for my daughter and I really want to ensure things are ok..As the solicitor has suggested an indemnity insurance I guess that we'll just go with that. Thanks for all input.
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Comicgeek I missed your post which seems to answer my questions. You appear to have nailed it regards the heating but I guess that as the structure is in place with a rad fed from the main heating system her only options are 1) Buy property as is and enjoy it 2) get indemnity insurance, buy property and enjoy it. She cannot get BR's now so no point worrying about it. As said before I don't understand why the vendors/installers didn't check with LABC before going ahead but He,Ho onwards and upwards.
  • ComicGeek
    Options
    Hi Comicgeek I missed your post which seems to answer my questions. You appear to have nailed it regards the heating but I guess that as the structure is in place with a rad fed from the main heating system her only options are 1) Buy property as is and enjoy it 2) get indemnity insurance, buy property and enjoy it. She cannot get BR's now so no point worrying about it. As said before I don't understand why the vendors/installers didn't check with LABC before going ahead but He,Ho onwards and upwards.
    Personally I wouldn't both getting indemnity insurance, it's such a minor issue that it's a waste of money. If it gets expensive heating the conservatory with a radiator, then your daughter can always turn it off with the TRV. The compliant alternative would have been to fit an electric heater in the conservatory, which would have cost much more to run, so actually you should be thankful that the vendor hasn't done this in a compliant way!

The vendor wouldn't have been able to get Bldg Regs at the time so no point checking with LABC then - the conservatory is exempt and the radiator is non compliant. If they wanted a sun room with connected radiators then they would have needed to pay for a more expensive extension rather than a conservatory.

The latest versions of Bldg Regs omitted the requirement for conservatories to have glazed roofs, so the fact that it has a solid roof still means it's a conservatory.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Being isolated probably does suffice, but it is not ideal. Different building inspectors have different views on many things.

I have seen a fight come up against this.

The building regs guidance is based on The Building Regulations 2010 act.

which states

Building regs act section 21
    section 21

This paragraph applies to any extension of a building falling within class 7 in Schedule 2 except a conservatory or porch—

(a)where any wall, door or window separating the conservatory or porch from that building has been removed and not replaced with a wall, door or window; or

(b)into which the building’s heating system has been extended.

so the right answer is any heating system extended into to conservatory breaks the exemption from BR's, a TRV doesn't mean the system isnt extended, but some BR inspectors dont know/care.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree.

Because of the idea of exemption, the BCO isn't invited to look anyway.

If they were there for other reasons I can only imagine that the worst they would do is request removal as a bartering tool against a completion certificate elsewhere.

I can't work out why it's okay to have a separate heater out there at all when most conservatories will haemorrhage the heat.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ComicGeek
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I can't work out why it's okay to have a separate heater out there at all when most conservatories will haemorrhage the heat.

The requirement is to have independent temperature and on/off controls to the heating system installed within the conservatory. This gives the occupant the ability to turn off the heating to the conservatory if it's costing too much to run.

But if the dwelling's heating system is extended into the conservatory then this also triggers minimum glazing and opaque element U-values which are equivalent to an new build extension - but there's no maximum percentage areas of glazing for conservatories like there is for extensions.

So you could potentially install a programmable TRV on the conservatory radiator as a cheap way of providing both temperature and time control.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure