PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conservatory or extension -Building regs?

Options
Hi All, can anyone out there explain the need for building regs for a "Sun Room" built by a very reputable company on a new build property? The extension is described on the literature as a sun room and the installers and the vendors state that it does not need BR's as it's a ground floor building,less than 30 sq m and has thermal separation between it and the main house. The roof is a Guardian roof system -fully insulated and covered with resin slates. There is a radiator in the extension fed from the main heating system- but it can be controlled independently(TRV's).My solicitor says that it should have had BR's but the installation company says no. All the relevant documents inc LABC are really ambiguous.I understand that in order to proceed with the purchase I would probably require the vendors to obtain an indemnity. Any thoughts please.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me like it's exempt. The rad is a bit naughty but it could simply be removed for less than the cost of the indemnity policy if a BCO wanted to pick a fight. If it's over 12 months old they'd need a court injunction though! For a rad that is arguably separate? Never, ever going to happen.

Don't be paying for this room as a full blown extension to the house though! It should be treated as a conservatory.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. What I don't understand is why would you spend £15000 on a great conservatory but not go for BR's? The problem with the rad is that it was not fitted by the installers but after completion and the installers knew that this was going to happen, so why not get BR approval?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you een reading this forum for a while?

If so you'll know that many, many people have work done to their homes (from minor electrical alerations to major extensions) without getting BRs.

Why?

* ignorance of the law
    * using cheap cowboy builders
    * forgetting to get final sign-off
    * preferring a design (which may still be expensive/good quality) which does not conform
    * assuming the builder will arrange it. Builder either assumes customer will, or can't be bothered
    etc
  • Doozergirl
    edited 19 May 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. What I don't understand is why would you spend £15000 on a great conservatory but not go for BR's? The problem with the rad is that it was not fitted by the installers but after completion and the installers knew that this was going to happen, so why not get BR approval?

Because in order to have that radiator connected to the system you would have to pay for a proper extension at greater cost and everything would need to conform. It will not have been built to BR standards, that's why they didn't get approval.

In all fairness, they could have put an electrically operated water filled rad not connected to the GCH system and the whole thing is 'exempt'.

The important point here is that you don't pay a premium for an extension when it is not an extension, it is an outbuilding.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was the door to the main house changed? If so that may need building regulation approval if the opening was enlarged etc.

The radiator should not have been installed, but that does not mean that the original installation was not exempt. Assuming the electrics were installed as per building regulations at the time, maybe better to install an independent heating system like a storage radiator.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    I still cannot understand that SHOULD a conservatory/sunroom be exempt from building regs without the relevant heating system how does one obtain regs when a rad has subsequetly been fitted? It's not really possible, is it? Surely, the very fact that the rad can be isolated from the main heating system would, according to the LABC, suffice.
    By the way the extension was really expensive, works carried out by a very reputable installer -AGS- not cowboys as suggested. I really wanted someone with RICS/surveying knowledge to give any advise on BR's. please.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't need building regs if the conservatory is separated by doors from the main building. Our conservatory is just like this. There are patio doors between the house and the conservatory. We wanted it like this for security. It wasn't cheap and it was built by a reputable company.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 19 May 2017 at 5:43PM
    Options
    I still cannot understand that SHOULD a conservatory/sunroom be exempt from building regs without the relevant heating system how does one obtain regs when a rad has subsequetly been fitted? It's not really possible, is it? Surely, the very fact that the rad can be isolated from the main heating system would, according to the LABC, suffice.
    By the way the extension was really expensive, works carried out by a very reputable installer -AGS- not cowboys as suggested. I really wanted someone with RICS/surveying knowledge to give any advise on BR's. please.

This is the third time in a week that someone has asked for an expert. If you give your credentials on here you get accused of showing off. If you don't you get accused of not having a clue. Either way, the advise on here does not constitute professional advice. If you want it, pay for it.

I run a Federation of Master Builders award winning building company and my husband and I now have nearly 40 years of building experience between us.

Being isolated probably does suffice, but it is not ideal. Different building inspectors have different views on many things.

The building conpany may not be cowboys but their aim
    is to avoid building regs in order to be cheaper than a proper extension. If they charged the same as a fully compliant extension, then they are fleecing people. I know how much those roofs cost and I would rather pay for a proper roof.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Doozergirl. I really wanted someone to clarify the situation with BR's as I've checked many websites and spoken to people in the know and I can get NO definitive answer.I take issue with you on 2 points: I have tried to get and pay for professional advice but many surveyors don't want to know. I have arranged a homebuyers survey for next week -but I'm not sure whether they they will be able to tell me anything concrete. Secondly, to say that the reason that the installation company did not go for regs was to make it cheaper than a proper extension is proper nonsense, if you don't mind me saying. I don't really understand your snide comments on the roof construction.The extension has been built, it is very well built by a reputable company - with a 10 year warranty. I doubt that your Master Builders Award winning company would offer such a warranty/guarantee. I was merely asking for your advice on the building regs situation which you seem unable/unwilling to give.Many Thanks
  • doningtonphil
    doningtonphil Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello. We made enquiries about replacing our existing old drafty conservatory with a new one. No planing required as within permitted developments. I phoned the LA for the cost of a Building Warrant (we are in Scotland). The guy told me it does not require BR UNLESS a) it has a solid roof or b) it has any kind of heating in it.

But then this was the same guy that told us the cost of the warrant is £440 per square metre!!!!!!! It took me several minutes to convince him to check again and he came back and confirmed BR is £120. However it needs two sets of drawings.

Not sure if Scotland veries from other parts of the UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport