Buyer asking me to send it to an Argos Store??

mike230652
mike230652 Posts: 525 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I recently put a camera lens up for auction on eBay.

The winner, who has less than 25 feedback, but 100% positive, has asked if I can send it to an Argos Store for collection.

I assume this is because he's out during the day. The item will be sent via Next Day Special Delivery so will need to be signed for.

My concerns are:

Is it safe to send to an Argos Store rather than his ( verified ) home address ?

The item is not cheap - it went for just over £1000 ( it's a very expensive lens ! ) and obviously I want to be 100% confident that I'm not breaking any eBay rules.

Essentially, I just want to know that it's in line with eBay rules to send it to an Argos store for collection rather than his home address ( he's given me the address, store number etc and it's within 4 miles of his home address ). Also, will Argos sign for a Next Day Special Delivery? If so, do I address the parcel with the buyer's name or what DO I do?

I don't want to disrespect the buyer, but there again I have to be completely sure that everything is absolutely in order and within eBay rules in case anything untoward happens.

I've never been asked to do this previously and given how expensive the lens is I can't afford to take any risks with my money.

I have to be honest, I would have thought that given I'd send it Next Day Special Delivery and either by the guaranteed 9a.m. or 1p.m. delivery time that you can choose, he'd take steps to make sure he's in for its arrival?

Sorry if my questions are naive or dim, but I hope you understand my concerns given the value involved.

Thank you in advance.
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to send it to the address on the order for PayPal protection. If you had Argos delivery activated previous to the auction and that's the address that came through with the order then that would be ok, otherwise it's "no".
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mike230652
    ballisticbrian

Many thanks. The only address coming up is his home address.
    I've let him know I can only send to his verified address.

He's now taking a very 'bolshie' attitude towards me saying transactions should be based on trust ( Yeah, right! We're talking about MY £1000 lens and ME trusting him! ) and I'm insulting his integrity - and I'm beginning to feel very uneasy about this now. He has 2 low cost transactions in the last 12 months.

He hasn't paid yet,but sent 2 messages ! - it ended at 7p.m. on the 16th. Am I in order to cancel his bid and offer it as a second chance ?
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are very right to feel uneasy about it. When scammers start to get their hopes dashed, they can become very 'bolshie' or even aggressive. I'll let some of the other posters see what the best course of action about the second chance offer as I don't use auctions, only buy-it-now.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    The buyer might not necessarily be a scammer.

He might have bought before from sellers who offered Argos Click & Collect, and might be assuming that you can do the same.

To send to Argos safely you have to be registered to offer Click & Collect. If you are, then the buyer at the point of checkout would have been able to select their nearest store, and the order would have came to you with an Argos store as the delivery address, and with a unique identifier code on the invoice which you would add to your label.

If you have not got any of that, then don't touch the Argos proposition with a bargepole because you will not be covered. Argos staff wouldn't just accept any old parcel for someone that they have never heard of, it has to be a click and collect parcel.

If he won't accept delivery to the address showing in paypal then your best bet is to cancel the order, refund him, and put him on your blocked bidder list.

Cancelling is likely to get you a defect, but if you select the reason as "problem with the buyer's address" (which there is, because he's trying to change it) you might escape a defect.

The buyer could still leave you a negative feedback, but if he does it should be removable on the premise that he asked for something which is not offered on the listing.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Though you should probably explain that Argos click & Collect is a service offered by some sellers - but not you.
    Some buyers may be stupid enough to believe that the Argos service will just take in any old parcel.

If your buyer still cannot accept this then I would walk away .
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They could work at Argos. I have sent plenty of parcels to shops and offices (although only obviously if that is the address given on the order).
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

..... if you select the reason as "problem with the buyer's address" (which there is, because he's trying to change it) you might escape a defect.

This - ↑↑↑↑
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If he hasn't paid yet, can't he add the argos address as he goes through the checkout? Although if he doesn't work there and you're not registered for click and collect I can't see that ending well. Would it be within timeframes to wait and send it on Friday with the Saturday guarantee service, if he'd be home then?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If he hasn't paid yet, can't he add the argos address as he goes through the checkout? Although if he doesn't work there and you're not registered for click and collect I can't see that ending well. Would it be within timeframes to wait and send it on Friday with the Saturday guarantee service, if he'd be home then?

If he hasn't paid, he can add any address he wants, BUT and it's a big but, if he doesn't work for Argos, he cannot simply decide he want's to have it in the Argos C&C scheme as the seller has not offered it.

There is no way I would have a delivery go to my local Argos, with my name on and no Argos C&C reference.
  • mike230652
    Just to update:

1 - He still hasn't paid me - and we're talking of £1025 + postage !

2 - I don't and never have offered the Argos Click and Collect scheme.

His last communication to me was telling me ( after I explained I would only send it to his verified Paypal address ) that I should trust him and not question his integrity. I'm not doing either of those, I'm being sensible.

Surely it would have been sensible of him to contact me BEFORE he bid to ask if I'd send to an address other than his?

If he doesn't send the money by close of play today, I think I'm going to cancel his bid and do a ' second chance ' on the lens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport