Recommend a Car please

Options

Comments

• getmeouttahere
    Options
    A bit left field - how about an Alfa Romeo Gulietta?

(or the smaller Mito?)
    The Mito is definitely too small (I've got a friend who's got one), but will have a look at the Gulietta :)
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Currently have a 2010 Citroen C4 Picasso which is starting to give us problem after problem so we've decided to bite the bullet at buy another car.

We're looking for something a little bit smaller than the C4 Picasso but not too small as it needs to be family friendly. It also needs to be 4-5 door, and needs to be automatic. We have a max budget of around £8,000.
    I've been looking at the Citroen DS5 online which looks quite nice. Showed my wife the civic and she didn't like the back of the newer ones but likes the 8 year old ones (which is too old for me to consider).

So, unreliable Citroen and you think another Citroen is the way to go?

How about a MAZDA CX5?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

How about a MAZDA CX5?

Out of the frying pan is what first springs to mind when you mention another Citroen.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I've not responded for a day or two, been busy at work. My mother in law has offered to loan us some money to allow us to increase our budget a bit so I've been looking at the Citroen DS5 online which looks quite nice. Showed my wife the civic and she didn't like the back of the newer ones but likes the 8 year old ones (which is too old for me to consider).

We've decided against the juke as on reflection, the dash looks cheap and we want a car that will last.

I think we're going to spend a few hours at fords of winsford on Monday so we can look at as many different makes/models as possible.

honest John is your friend, check out his reviews and then the owners reviews before you but anything.

Cant believe no-one has mentioned them yet, but Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia? Estates are pretty big and you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent one for your £££

As a big fan of Honda I'd also recommend the Accord Estate, although I find diesels often come with high mileage.
  • getmeouttahere
    Options

How about a MAZDA CX5?
    Until recently, the Picasso has been a great car (we've had it nearly 3 years) and the reviews on the Parker site are all pretty good for the DS5!
    wba31 wrote: »
    honest John is your friend, check out his reviews and then the owners reviews before you but anything.
    Cant believe no-one has mentioned them yet, but Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia? Estates are pretty big and you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent one for your £££

As a big fan of Honda I'd also recommend the Accord Estate, although I find diesels often come with high mileage.
    Guess you missed the bit where I said we didnt want an estate :)
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Also had a 2010 C4 Picasso, after spending months in a Citroen garage without them been able to resolve faults, just create new ones, it was sold to motor trade and taken away on a transporter, presumably as a donor for parts.

Oh and the loan car was a Citroen DS5, thought the interior was horrible, the drive appalling and the semi automatic gearbox with electronic parking brake extremely annoying.

Never, ever buying a Citroen or Peugeot again !

C4 Picasso had greater internal volume than most comparable length estates, so small SUVs / crossovers aren't going to come close on boot capacity or rear passenger space.

I went with a Mercedes C Class estate, but already wishing for a taller, squarer boot like the C4 Picasso had. So may change to a MB E Class estate.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Haha...thankfully, we've never had to have it towed but it's getting more problematic more often now. I do like the look of the Juke so will look into that a bit more.

The Civic is a bit smaller than we're looking for really but will look at the Auris.
    If you're considering a Juke then not sure what's wrong with a Civic, as I'm pretty sure the Civic is bigger. There's a new Honda mini SUV like the Juke too, cn't remember what it's called.
    Nissan/Honda should be very reliable, Japanese manufacturers are generally superior in terms of reliability to everything else on the road.

If you're buying a new car and worried about reliability you might want to consider Kia? Since they have 7 year warranty. In fact I think Vauxhall has a 100,000 mile warranty, for that matter, but not sure if you have to pay extra etc.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^ This. Civic is tonnes bigger. I run a Civic and hired a Juke on holiday in Spain. We couldn't even get two suitcases in the boot of the Juke, my Civic will fit three of the same size 'cases.

Maybe people think it's bigger because it's taller but it's more Clio/Fiesta/Micra sized inside than a proper car.
  • getmeouttahere
    Options
    Just thought I'd update the thread. I've ordered a 66 plate Vauxhall Astra. It's miles better than anything else in the price range and has 2.5 years warranty and 18 months roadside cover. Hopefully made the right decision.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 year old Mondeo with 30-35k on and a years warranty left would have been a better fit I'd have thought especially given your comments about size. Massive boot, massive interior - I've fitted a 3m long kitchen worktop in mine and shut the boot as well, extremely comfortable on long runs, massively cheaper to service than a Vauxhall, like 1/2 to 2/3 the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure