Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 13th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 74Thanks
    MSE Nick
    MSE News: Vodafone unveils free roaming for new contracts
    • 13th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    MSE News: Vodafone unveils free roaming for new contracts 13th Apr 17 at 4:45 PM
    Vodafone has launched free roaming in 40 destinations for new and upgrading customers – but free roaming will be compulsory across the EU from 15 June anyway...
    Read the full story:
    'Vodafone unveils free roaming for new contracts – but soon everyone will have it anyway'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Nick; 13-04-2017 at 4:49 PM.
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 13th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 4,381 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 13th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    Nothing wrong with being one step ahead of the competition though is there.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Apr 17, 12:58 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 14th Apr 17, 12:58 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 12:58 AM
    This can be a method for testing billing systems with live information from a limited number of customers, a final chance to iron out issues before full rollout to all customers.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    At least this has started the ball rolling. Last week I was talking to Three Sales (phone to their Glasgow office) and the guy I spoke to said "we are leaving the EU, therefore nothing will happen in June", when I pointed out we would still be in the EU at that time, he changed tack and said "we will await instruction from OFCOM"... I guess he simply hadn't a clue.

Both Vodafone and EE offer local calls while roaming from your minutes bundle on some contracts, Three's feel at home doesn't. However, when last checked, neither Voda nor EE offer a spending cap (other than the EU roaming cap on data), Three have a zero overspend cap you can turn on or off yourself.

I think we will see quite a shake up of contracts by mid June...
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 14th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    Togglemobile?
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    I'm keeping an eye open on what will happen with Togglemobile.

I'm getting 3p/minute rates to/from several Toggle markets (7p/9p to/from some others). As 3p is Three's Feel At Home rate back to the UK (but not local when roaming), Toggle suits us better when calling local numbers in Toggle countries.

ETA: Three's roaming rates for out of bundle calls are not bad, 3.2p/min IIRC and no contract.
    Last edited by Roger1; 14-04-2017 at 9:27 AM. Reason: added last para
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 14th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    Interesting, so as of June I should get a foreign EU sim, and then I'll be able to roam onto any network in the UK, for perfect coverage....
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 14th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    so as of June I should get a foreign EU sim
    But it might be more expensive than a UK contract and you will have a 'foreign' number
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    Interesting, so as of June I should get a foreign EU sim, and then I'll be able to roam onto any network in the UK, for perfect coverage....
    Originally posted by rtho782
    I think you will find there are limitations on roaming, such as having to use the SIM in its home country from time to time.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    The system has been designed to make "permanent roaming" impossible.
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 16,284 Posts
    • 19,797 Thanks
    redux
    I'm keeping an eye open on what will happen with Togglemobile.

I'm getting 3p/minute rates to/from several Toggle markets (7p/9p to/from some others). As 3p is Three's Feel At Home rate back to the UK (but not local when roaming), Toggle suits us better when calling local numbers in Toggle countries.

ETA: Three's roaming rates for out of bundle calls are not bad, 3.2p/min IIRC and no contract.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    I'm not sure that Toggle will do anything, unless put some prices up again. Lyca don't seem to have bothered with it much for a while, for instance not yet adding their other countries.

3p/min is only for landlines in some countries; 9p/min for mobiles in those. Calls to all UK numbers from Toggle countries up from 3 to 7p/min. And in some EU countries receiving calls is much too expensive. On a trip to Lithuania I switched it off in Poland and only turned it back on on the way home.

O2 is now cheaper than Toggle in Europe for almost all calls. But FreedomPop and some other VoIP brands can be cheaper still.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 17th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Roger1
    3p/min is only for landlines in some countries; 9p/min for mobiles in those. Calls to all UK numbers from Toggle countries up from 3 to 7p/min ...
    Originally posted by redux
    Well, UK>UK mobiles, Spain>UK mobiles and Switzerland>UK mobiles are back to 3p/minute. I haven't checked other rates yet.
    O2 is now cheaper than Toggle in Europe for almost all calls. But FreedomPop and some other VoIP brands can be cheaper still.
    I'd be interested in trying FreedomPop in Switzerland and Spain (Canaries) but find their website difficult to navigate. The basic international plans exclude calls to Swiss mobiles (and others) and AFAIK calls from outside the UK. The link to purchase a WhatsApp SIM produces this:
    ... This limited time offer has expired. ...

Do you think that FreedomPop could help me? Thanks.
    Last edited by Roger1; 17-04-2017 at 9:28 AM. Reason: typo
    • redux
    • By redux 17th Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 16,284 Posts
    • 19,797 Thanks
    redux
    Well, UK>UK mobiles, Spain>UK mobiles and Switzerland>UK mobiles are back to 3p/minute. I haven't checked other rates yet.
    Oops, I hadn't noticed the rate drop again, so thanks for telling me. i checked - 3p to UK from all Toggle countries. Do you know when this happened?

I'd be interested in trying FreedomPop in Switzerland and Spain (Canaries) but find their website difficult to navigate. The basic international plans exclude calls to Swiss mobiles (and others) and AFAIK calls from outside the UK. The link to purchase a WhatsApp SIM produces this:
    ... This limited time offer has expired. ...

Do you think that FreedomPop could help me? Thanks.
    Hmm, sorry, it looks like I've been caught out twice. The global or worldwide SIM doesn't seem to be available here any more, and I don't know whether it may come back.

The ordinary UK SIM doesn't have roaming. However their Free Voice and Text app can still be used for calls and texts over other data, either wifi or with a local SIM, so it is possible to use their calls to some extent.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 18th Apr 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Roger1
    i checked - 3p to UK from all Toggle countries. Do you know when this happened?
    Originally posted by redux
    Sorry, no. I only check from time to time, usually before I'm about to use the service.

I'm thinking it may be a reaction to the 'free' EU roaming, though with different territories. 3p/minute to mobiles as well as landlines in Toggle countries is not bad. It probably beats most UK PAYG rates, though I haven't kept up to date with those.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 18th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Ian011
    Put the URL into the WaybackMachine to browse earlier versions of the page. It may give a rough indication of when things changed.
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 19th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    It's a pity we need to rely on EU regulation to get better value. There was a time when EE/T-Mobile offered unlimited worldwide 3G (at the time the fastest) data for £15/mth.

Surely with technology and economies of scale they can offer the same?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 19th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Sorry, no. I only check from time to time, usually before I'm about to use the service.

I'm thinking it may be a reaction to the 'free' EU roaming, though with different territories. 3p/minute to mobiles as well as landlines in Toggle countries is not bad. It probably beats most UK PAYG rates, though I haven't kept up to date with those.
    Oddly enough, at the moment O2 PAYG, without converting the top up to a bundle, isn't bad. Calls in the EU are free to receive and 4p per min to any EU landline or mobile while roaming.

A friend who spends several months a year in Spain uses an O2 PAYG SIM in a dual SIM phone (Samsung J5 I think), it means we can keep in touch for free while they are in Spain... just call their O2 mobile from our included minutes bundle, it's a win all round.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,407Posts Today

6,854Users online

Martin's Twitter