PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    The UK is such a dangerous place. Wolves, hyenas, eagles...

My cats have twice been chased back into my house by dogs... If I hadn't been home with the door open, what would have happened had the dogs caught them?

I back onto woodland where dog walkers tend to let their dogs off and as my boundary is hedges they find their way through.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    My cats have twice been chased back into my house by dogs... If I hadn't been home with the door open, what would have happened had the dogs caught them?

I back onto woodland where dog walkers tend to let their dogs off and as my boundary is hedges they find their way through.

They'd probably have just gone up a tree. ;)
  • marliepanda
    They'd probably have just gone up a tree. ;)

Hahah one would, he's smart. The fatter one probably couldnt if he tried. Very short legs :P
  • Lloyd90
    Lloyd90 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think forgetting about the cat issue, you signed a 6 month tenancy, unless your landlord agree for you to end early you would be liable for costs in court.

Ask the land lord.

As regard to you definitions of harassment and a sociopath, please stop throwing around these thinking they are buzzwords that get you the response you want.

As for the Police. You are completely wasting their time, please stop, I imagine they did sound sympathetic on the phone, that's called being professional. They don't tell people on the phone what a time waster they are. Did they follow it up with any action? no.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite

So you never leave the house?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It was at midnight because I usually do all my cleaning at nighttime believe it or not. The bin has just been emptied so all 3 industrial bins were empty.

In reference to your example, in my opinion a conversation would have been better, not publicly humiliating people.

Do you work shifts? I think for the benefit of the neighbour's sleep you need to do your cleaning early perhaps before you go to work on the evening shift otherwise cleaning around midnight is going to make too much noise when everyone else is in bed.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Since the OP describes the neighbours as sociopathic, I'm guessing there's a lot more to the story than just a litter tray being dumped at their door (which itself is definitely weird).
    Penitent wrote: »
    It's not like the guy nailed your cat to your door.
    If something horrific such as this had happened, I imagine the first comment here would have been 'Why didn't you rehome your cat, since you knew the neighbours were nutters?'

Just for the record OP, plenty of people leave their cats outside during working hours. A cat that is used to being outside often doesn't take kindly to being kept inside permanently, so I can understand your reasons for rehoming. If the neighbour issues continue, I would speak to the landlord about getting out early. In any case, at least you don't have long left on the tenancy.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Since the OP describes the neighbours as sociopathic, I'm guessing there's a lot more to the story than just a litter tray being dumped at their door (which itself is definitely weird).

If something horrific such as this had happened, I imagine the first comment here would have been 'Why didn't you rehome your cat, since you knew the neighbours were nutters?'

Just for the record OP, plenty of people leave their cats outside during working hours. A cat that is used to being outside often doesn't take kindly to being kept inside permanently, so I can understand your reasons for rehoming. If the neighbour issues continue, I would speak to the landlord about getting out early. In any case, at least you don't have long left on the tenancy.

There is something else going on and I think I am beginning to understand what it is. The clue is in the cleaning at midnight and the fuss about the cat.
  • marliepanda
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    So you never leave the house?

Not with my cats outside I don't.
  • Cats are domestic pets, like dogs, rabbits or hamsters.

I would prefer to keep MY pet indoors than rehome it.

Actually I wouldn't, if the cat is used to going out. If I could not let it out, I would try to find it a home where it could go out. Leaving it out all day is different of course.

The OP and the neighbours ALL appear to be over-reacting . What a fuss about nothing.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure