Marriage allowance

Options
Hi, iv recently applied for the marriage allowance and weve been accepted. However the thing im struggling to find any info on is the rebate. What i need to know is do you get the rebate from the date you was married or the beginning of the tax year?

We was married in December 2016 so will we be entitled for a full rebate from tax year 2015/2016 and tax year 2016/2017 or just the first one?

Thankyou!
Lee

Comments

• pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I could be wrong but I cant see HMRC backdating it to April 2016 if you weren't actually married until December.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    pphillips wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I cant see HMRC backdating it to April 2016 if you weren't actually married until December.
    The allowance applies to the full tax year.
  • Leewhite21
    Options
    So it will be back dated to april 2016?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 2:21PM
    Options
    <edit> for future reference ,there is a long running thread on marriage allowance over on the 'cutting tax' board
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5253467

I've deleted the rest of my post as I'd misread your original post and was giving incorrect information
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll have another go, having re-read your post properly.

As you were married in December 2016, you are entitled to the tax allowance for tax year 2016-17, but not 2015-16.

Assuming that (as you are the one who applied) you are the lower earner, and that your partner is employed and paid via PAYE, they may get the rebate via their paypacket, if HMRC can process the application and get the adjusted tax code through to their emplyer before the final payroll run of the tax year. If not, then they'll probably get it as a cheque at some point after the end of the tax year.

From looking at the thread I pointed out over on the 'cutting tax' board, I believe that HMRC has started automatically backdating new claims to include 2015-16 as well. But as you were not married during that year, you shouldn't be eligible and if you do receive a cheque from thiem in relation to tax year 2015-16 I strongly suggest you double check with them before spending the money as they may well ask for it bakc at a later date when they realise you weren't entitled to it.
  • Leewhite21
    Options
    Hi thankyou for the great reply. Iv received my new tax code as im the higher earner, it was my wife that applied.

Not sure wether work has received anything as of yet, but will we 100% be entitled to the £220 rebate for 2016/2017?
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Leewhite21 wrote: »
    Hi thankyou for the great reply. Iv received my new tax code as im the higher earner, it was my wife that applied.

Not sure wether work has received anything as of yet, but will we 100% be entitled to the £220 rebate for 2016/2017?

It's an allowance for the whole tax year.
  • Leewhite21
    Options
    Yes sorry so what i mean is, is will i get a cheque for the amount?
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Op.

Just ask your wife what it said- I've just done this and it was very straightforward and easy to follow.

The end screen told me what I/we would be getting and this would be confirmed via email within 24 hours.

As we have been married for a long time, I was then eligible to then further click through to the 'backdate' section too.

It told us that IF we were eligible he would receive a cheque in the post for each tax year we were eligible for- so until the cheque turns up, I'm guessing we won't know if the application has been successful.

The email explains it very clearly- ask your wife to let you have a read.
  • Leewhite21
    Options
    I filled the form out on her behalf and it didn't give me any backdate option. We however did receive the email which told us we were successful and my new tax code will be sent out to us, which i also received on friday but with nothing on it about a back payment etc?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure