SCAM petrol pumps

Comments

• What about the children
  • What really annoys me is when I dispense exactly the amount I want to pay for eg £20 then by the time I get the hose back it has rolled over to £20.01p. Does this mean I am being scammed ;)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Petrol pumps are subject to Weights and Measures Act monitored by Trading Standards. IIRC they are legally required to operate within +0.3% to -0.3% on a minimum delivery of 2 litres.

How many of use weigh the products we buy at a supermarket. Most suppliers will over weight a product rather than risk fines. So your 1kg of flour will often weigh 1015g.

There will always be human error, faulty equipment and in-date calibrations that go wrong. But equally customers can benefit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048
    The man without a signature.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which is why I'm resisting getting smart Electricity & gas meters.
    My old mechanical meters will have been manufactured to under read in my favour by a few %.
    The new smart meters will be more accurate, so I can only lose out.
    1 or 2% of a £1200 energy bill is worth saving.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    Which is why I'm resisting getting smart Electricity & gas meters.
    My old mechanical meters will have been manufactured to under read in my favour by a few %.
    The new smart meters will be more accurate, so I can only lose out.
    1 or 2% of a £1200 energy bill is worth saving.

What makes you think they will be more accurate?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/customers-charged-20000-day-after-12696400
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Petrol pumps are subject to Weights and Measures Act monitored by Trading Standards. IIRC they are legally required to operate within +0.3% to -0.3% on a minimum delivery of 2 litres.

How many of use weigh the products we buy at a supermarket. Most suppliers will over weight a product rather than risk fines. So your 1kg of flour will often weigh 1015g.

There will always be human error, faulty equipment and in-date calibrations that go wrong. But equally customers can benefit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048

Acts of Parliament and official bodies involved.

It's not a scam. It's a conspiracy.
  • facade
    Car_54 wrote: »

That is a software error, it wont affect the base accuracy of measurement.
    I would have thought in the 21st century they could be made more precise, and set a lot nearer the actual value, but I could be wrong (or is it right?- everything was better in The Olden Days).... :rotfl:
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    That is a software error, it wont affect the base accuracy of measurement.
    I would have thought in the 21st century they could be made more precise, and set a lot nearer the actual value, but I could be wrong (or is it right?- everything was better in The Olden Days).... :rotfl:

I think perhaps you're confusing precision with accuracy.

A £5 digital watch may be more precise than an analogue Rolex, but it's unlikely to be as accurate.
  • facade
    The meaning of precision changed recently, from what we would now call resolution, to repeatability/reproducibility/lack of random error.

A precise measurement is repeatable, so you can calibrate a precise instrument to be accurate, then we are talking about "trueness" of the results.

So in the case of the rolex, it will be precise if every 24hours it reads exactly the same time, but it won't be accurate if I don't set the time to match a standard.

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I haven't used a Sainsbury's Petrol Station for some time now as I no longer live near one however somewhere on their pumps there'll be a Trading Standards sticker from the testing they carry out.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure