Best non-apple lightning charger

adonis10
adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
So, so many out there meaning I am really struggling to decide. Don't want to pay Apple prices but also don't want to pay £2 from Amazon and have it burn my house down!

Recommendations?

Comments

• Steve251
    Steve251 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi

I run a computer repair and support business and we sell batteries and chargers.
    I have deal with the same supplier for these items for about 18 years because it is important to me that I never buy a fake and believe me there are lots out there. Apple recently bought 100 chargers from Amazon and 90 were fake. The thought of someone getting electrocuted or their house burning down fills me with fear.

I have found the Duracell charger with the lightning connector to be good value.
    It is only a charger and you cannot use it for data transfer.

Good luck

Steve
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The genuine Apple ones are only £5.49 at 7DayShop.

https://www.7dayshop.com/brand/apple

I've found other brands are a bit hit and miss.
  • Hi,

I am sorry but I would doubt that these are genuine chargers.
    The risk of a fak charger is electroction and fire

Not worth the risk in my opinion

Steve
  • adonis10
    chrisw wrote: »
    The genuine Apple ones are only £5.49 at 7DayShop.

https://www.7dayshop.com/brand/apple

I've found other brands are a bit hit and miss.

Have to agree with Steve, I very much doubt that these are genuine.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2017 at 1:26PM
    These are genuine. 7dayshop is a reputable UK (Guernsey) based company.
  • adonis10
    chrisw wrote: »
    These are genuine. 7dayshop is a reputable UK (Guernsey) based company.

Says who? Kinda hard to trust a random website. I cannot see any reviews for the item which makes me suspicious.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I bought one of these from Currys/PC world (in store) for my iphone and it seems fine, the cable is sturdy.

Price £7.99

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/mp3-accessories/iwantit-iln1c13x-usb-to-lightning-sync-and-charge-cable-20948671-pdt.html
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Says who? Kinda hard to trust a random website. I cannot see any reviews for the item which makes me suspicious.

7dayshop are a well-known online retailer and have been around for a long time. They're not just a "random website". :)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The £5.49 product is NOT a lightning charger, there are however two lighting chargers at 10w and 12w for £8.59 and £9.69 respectively.

Apple cables lightning cables will prevent the £5.49 product providing any meaningful charge.

I do not care if the other 2 are fake or not, just that they work, we all know that buying Apple is a grab your ankles and think of Jobs affair. They charge £19 for a 12w charger and a further and equally painful £19 for the lightning cable.

What I can say is that the reviews on those pages are meaningless and probably fake, by fake I mean they are NOT listing all their reviews, only the 4 and 5 star reviews. They also read as fake in a Filipino English sort of way (you will understand this if you have ever employed any as I have). They should move to Trustpilot, they do have a 3 star rating there and no negative reviews on Apple chargers. most seem to be about poor delivery.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.7dayshop.com

I do not consider an item a fake if it is not Apple, to me a fake Apple Iphone charger is something pretending to be Apple, with Apple logos. There are plenty of wideos about fake iphone chargers on YouTube but silent one shows a few cosmetic differences. What is NOT clear is whether these were sold as alternatives or genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DXGSGCZaiw

As always you pays your money and takes your choice, the OP said they did NOT want to pay Apple RIP OFF prices and who can blame them.

I would like to see someone buy these two lightning products and compare them against actual Apple products with proper electronics measuring output etc.

This product costs under £15 with cable at 7dayshop vs £38 at Apple

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/apple-a1401-12w-usb-mains-charger-1m-cable-bundle-wh2-12wbundle

7Dayshop are visible open, use expensive web technology which is a good sign, not just some outfit hiding behind a website.

Jon Sandilands
    7dayshop.com
    Pitronnerie Road
    St Peter Port
    Guernsey
    Channel Islands
    GY1 2RN
    01481 818777
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If it reassures, 7 Day Shop are legit, used them for over a decade now. Never disappointed by their quality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure