Ideas for day out in London

Going to use free tickets from Virgin Trains to go to London for day. Any tips of things to do and see? Was thinking of picking one thing to do in morning and then having a wee wander in afternoon to take in a few key sites.

Was thinking possibly Churchill War Rooms as the morning thing but grateful for any other suggestions.

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What sort of thing are you into? The Sir John Soanes Museum is a fav of mine - quirky and interesting if you like eclectic collections - and admission is free.
    On the 1st Tuesday of each month they open in the evening from 18:00 to 21:00 with the house lit by candlelight - the lighting that Sir John himself would have used. Its fabby.
    The Museum is at Lincoln's Inn Fields WC2A 3BP
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    What sort of thing are you into? The Sir John Soanes Museum is a fav of mine - quirky and interesting if you like eclectic collections - and admission is free.
    On the 1st Tuesday of each month they open in the evening from 18:00 to 21:00 with the house lit by candlelight - the lighting that Sir John himself would have used. Its fabby.
    The Museum is at Lincoln's Inn Fields WC2A 3BP

And if the quirky appeals to you - you can then pop over to the other side of the Fields to visit the Huntarian museum
    https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums-and-archives/hunterian-museum/
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Imperial War Museum in Lambeth = Free
    British Museum in Russell Square = Free
    Fantastic places and free :-)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The Wallace Collection is fabulous, too.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ed11e
    ed11e Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 4:41PM
    Museum of London is good. Free museum in the barbican near the tube station. Don't get lost the Barbican though. I did that last time I went there!

The museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green is also worth a visit. Lot's of quirky things there plus stuff you'd forgotten existed like old toys and games machines.
  • National Art Gallery well worth a visit on Trafalgar square its free and features many famous paintings including whistlejacket my personal favourite by George Stubbs

Amazing how close you can actually get to the works of art.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Trip down Thames to barrier
    Cutty Sark at Greenwich
    Naval museum, Greenwich
    Do your own walking tour of the city- up the Monument, St Pauls, Guildhall
    Ride the DLR
    The Eye, the Shard
    Kensington Palace- has Princess Diana dress collection exhibition just now, plus the rooms where Q.Victoria grew up
    Hampton Court Palace
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ed11e wrote: »
    Museum of London is good. Free museum in the barbican near the tube station. Don't get lost the Barbican though. I did that last time I went there!

The museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green is also worth a visit. Lot's of quirky things there plus stuff you'd forgotten existed like old toys and games machines.

Yes, the Barbican is a bit of a maze. But, there are lots of signposts.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all lot of fab suggestions!
  • mair1234
    mair1234 Posts: 15 Forumite
    There's a site called LittleBird who have got lots of ideas for family days out in London. They've got savings on bus tours, river cruises and attractions like the Arcelor Orbit, London Bridge Experience etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure