Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2017 at 4:04PM
    Options
    If you've been wondering about Ablrate but haven't looked yet you might want to take a look at the new 14% loan for Portacabins at Pinewood Studios initially to be used for a Disney film. Amortising, so it repays just like a personal loan, some capital and interest each month. Four year loan with a secondary market you can sell on at no cost, actually usually at a small profit, if you want to get out sooner.

One interesting thing is that the 14% is paid income tax free by Ablrate from the time you bid until the loan is filled. It counts as a discount on the purchase price so it's tax free unless you will pay capital gains tax. Not that it's likely to take long to fill, it's at 45% offered in about half a day so far, a fair chunk from me. (Later: 75% offered in about a day now)

Remember to diversify across lots of loans and several platforms. There are around a dozen loans on the Ablrate secondary market at the moment at yields (AER) of nine to over fifteen percent. None of them looks unduly risky.

Ablrate is my favourite P2P platform. MoneyThing next and there are some decent 11% loans expected there soon.

Declaration of interest: I sometimes sell on the secondary market there so depending on what you buy, when and whether I happen to be selling you might end up buying off me.
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could recommend a P2P account for drip-feeding money into every month? I have a lump sum of about £1,000 and have about £500 to put away each month on top of this, ideally for instant/ rolling access or to put away for one year. Any recommendations would be very gratefully received!

Jen
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Visit different p2p websites and see which one would be suitable as they operate very differently. Describing it all in a post replying to you would be impossible.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Visit different p2p websites and see which one would be suitable as they operate very differently. Describing it all in a post replying to you would be impossible.

Thank you. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if there is a way to minimise the risk associated with P2P lending, i.e. are there any where I could receive a reasonable interest rate (3-4%) but access my money fairly quickly if the fund seemed to be in trouble.
  • justme111
    Options
    Haha I do not think anywhere in this world you could access the money quickly if the fund seemed in trouble.
    Some p2p platforms advise to minimise the risk by lending no more than 1%of overall mobey there to a particular borrower , some keep physical item like jewelery on site as pawn shops do , some create "funds" which intended to repay you even if borrower defaults but there are no guarantees.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jenberry wrote: »
    Thank you. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if there is a way to minimise the risk associated with P2P lending, i.e. are there any where I could receive a reasonable interest rate (3-4%) but access my money fairly quickly if the fund seemed to be in trouble.

I am very new to p2p lending, I've done some reading and opened an account with only one p2p site so far but I think I can see some problems with what you would like from a p2p platform.

You won't usually be able to withdraw money that is already on loan so you might have to wait the full term of the loan(s) to withdraw.

You might find that some p2p platforms have a secondary market that allow you to sell-on your loan, but that may be no use if the platform appeared to be in trouble as everyone else will be trying to sell-out with nobody wishing to buy your loan.

I've been hesitant about moving into p2p so for now I've opened just one account with only £100 to get some experience in p2p. I'll be opening another couple of accounts in the coming days with similarly small initial deposits.
  • richbeth
    richbeth Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jenberry wrote: »
    A low risk option would be to try RateSetter rolling, I'm getting 3.9 % at the moment but it's normally nearer 3.0 %. Your money is locked in for 30 days at a time but you can stop the next 30 days starting at any time. Not quite instant access but not far off.

They have an offer of £100 bonus if you keep £1k in for 12 months so for the first year it's more like 13-14% return, if you have a friend who already uses ratesetter they can give you a referral code which gets you the £100 and them £50 but you can also get the £100 offer from the RS site. This is a no brainer for the £1k.

Higher risk options such as ABLrate, SavingStream etc can give you more like 10-12% but you have to manage individual loans so it's a lot more work and might not be worth it for £1k. BondMason diversies the loans for you and targets 8% so I'd consider putting the £500pm with them if you're happy to take a bit more risk. You could start with less and try it out for a few months.
    R
  • kamir
    kamir Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting table on the size of the P2P lenders

http://www.p2pmoney.co.uk/statistics/size.htm

Personally i've not went outside the big three yet. At the moment I prefer FC as its gives a decent balance of risk vs return.
  • justme111
    Options
    Bondmason minimum opening investment is £1000, target is 7% and it may change(read drop further )as p2p rates change.
  • Empor
    Empor Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    kamir wrote: »
    Interesting table on the size of the P2P lenders

http://www.p2pmoney.co.uk/statistics/size.htm

What jumps out to me is the sheer number of these companies. They're surely not all going to survive. Let's hope when it happens it will be by friendly merger rather than something more devastating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback