Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 15th Feb 17, 5:43 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 32Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: 'I was charged £11,000 for data on my dongle'
    • 15th Feb 17, 5:43 PM
    MSE News: 'I was charged £11,000 for data on my dongle' 15th Feb 17 at 5:43 PM
    A Vodafone customer racked up an astonishing bill after exceeding the data allowance on his uncapped Wi-Fi dongle...
    Read the full story:
    ''I was charged £11,000 for data on my dongle' - if your usage isn't capped, watch out'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 16-02-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 15th Feb 17, 8:35 PM
    • 6,378 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:35 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:35 PM
    That's why I find streaming Sky Go an insane idea.

I just buy a disposable SIM when I travel.

Get a dual SIM phone, it's great.
    What happens if you push this button?
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 15th Feb 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:40 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:40 PM
    I only signed up for for a 1GB a month contract.
    I didn't read your 12 over-usage alert notifications.
    And sorry I was actually using 200GB a month instead of 1, using a dongle, I didn't know. Even though you kept on telling me about it.
    But now I've gone to MSE.
    So please don't charge me.
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 15th Feb 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 12,495 Thanks
    tgroom57
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:51 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 8:51 PM
    The moral of this - is not to let your colleague stream films or tv to your dongle. If the guy who'd signed up to the plan had just used it for what he originally intended he would (probably) have stayed within the 2GB monthly limit.

What does the colleague who made so free with the streaming service have to say? Has he offered to pay his share of the usage?

• jk0
    • By jk0 15th Feb 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,869 Posts
    • 21,911 Thanks
    jk0
    • 15th Feb 17, 10:15 PM
    • 15th Feb 17, 10:15 PM
    Wouldn't the EU cap also apply in the original member country?
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Feb 17, 12:31 AM
    • 16,275 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    redux
    • 16th Feb 17, 12:31 AM
    • 16th Feb 17, 12:31 AM
    It's hard to support the position of either the company or the customer.

He should have thought of monitoring the use, instead of assuming that something with a fixed limit was open-ended for something obviously very data intensive, he should have logged in to read the text message warnings, and they should have protected both parties by provisionally cutting an irresponsible customer off at a credit limit.

Edit: I'm not sure that a monitoring app is the only option. Most routers let you log in on their dedicated home page, and most mobile ones will have a data counter and reading text messages somewhere in the menu options.
    Last edited by redux; 16-02-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    • miller
    • By miller 16th Feb 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    miller
    • 16th Feb 17, 8:46 AM
    • 16th Feb 17, 8:46 AM
    and they should have protected both parties by provisionally cutting an irresponsible customer off at a credit limit.
    Originally posted by redux
    That was my first thought. The bank stops your debit card from working at overdraft limit + x. This is a regulatory failing.

Despite some of the porting issues others have experienced, I am glad I have set my Plusnet SIM to a hard cap of £2 per month over the monthly sub; it also limits any liabilities if things go wrong.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 16th Feb 17, 9:48 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:48 AM
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:48 AM
    If vodafone had cut him off, we'd now be reading a story about how his heart monitoring data was sent through it and he didn't ask for a cap and now he is dead and it's all their fault.

They really can't win.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 16th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 16th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    I agree, the fault is equal. There are plenty of guides on how much data you need to stream iPlayer etc. Yes Vodafone should have capped his bill earlier (maybe at £1000 of debt) as otherwise it is a unrealistic amount for them to recover. But he should have been more responsible in checking his usage and knowing what he was using.

My mobile phone contract has 4GB of data and I generally only use 2-3GB but I still check my bill each month to be sure.
    • koloko
    • By koloko 16th Feb 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    koloko
    It's hard to support the position of either the company or the customer.

He should have thought of monitoring the use, instead of assuming that something with a fixed limit was open-ended for something obviously very data intensive, he should have logged in to read the text message warnings, and they should have protected both parties by provisionally cutting an irresponsible customer off at a credit limit.

Edit: I'm not sure that a monitoring app is the only option. Most routers let you log in on their dedicated home page, and most mobile ones will have a data counter and reading text messages somewhere in the menu options.
    Originally posted by redux

I'd say at least 25% of the country are computer illiterate enough to have no idea what you just said.

Until everyone understands the consequences of their actions, protection is needed for all.
    • miller
    • By miller 16th Feb 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    miller
    What is the point of OFCOM?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Feb 17, 10:57 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I find it difficult to believe that someone who needs the access for his job would agree to a 2GB cap when he already knows he's exceeded that limit previously and knows how much it's cost him.
    • gavrc
    • By gavrc 16th Feb 17, 12:53 PM
    • 6,491 Posts
    • 728,338 Thanks
    gavrc
    I might be crazy but who puts a green warning light on anything?!

Aside from that, I know loads of people who wouldn't know what a gigabyte was if you beat them around the head with it. It has to be recognised that no-one will read a T&C that full of techno talk and scrabble winning words. If I were to buy a 2GB contract, I expect to be allowed 2GB and no more. Allowing an 'overdraft' like this is deliberately in place to make money off less savvy customers.

gav
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 16th Feb 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Originally posted by gavrc
    It not a warning light, its a SMS message indicator, the dongle does not read the messages and decide light up red or green.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Feb 17, 3:17 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Aside from that, I know loads of people who wouldn't know what a gigabyte was if you beat them around the head with it. It has to be recognised that no-one will read a T&C that full of techno talk and scrabble winning words. If I were to buy a 2GB contract, I expect to be allowed 2GB and no more. Allowing an 'overdraft' like this is deliberately in place to make money off less savvy customers.

gav
    He'd already had to pay more when going over his original 1GB and then doubled it to 2GB and still ended up paying for going over that. It's not like he was unaware it cost more when exceeding his limit, admittedly £11,000 may have come as a bit of a shock (to put it mildly) but I'd love to know why he let his mate have it with no idea (presumably) of what he'd be using it for.
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 16th Feb 17, 3:18 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Next people will want Gas and electricity capped.
    No more hot water when you go over your Direct debit payment i say
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 16th Feb 17, 4:11 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    jon81uk

gav
    He had the alowance increased from 1GB to 2GB. Its not too hard to log in to the Vodafone website and read your bill each month, if your bill is getting close to the allowance call up and increase the allowance again. Same with water meters and electric meters, keep an eye on the bill and query things before they get that bad!
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    • 16,275 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    redux
    If someone orders some bespoke window frames or a staircase, can they demand a cap on how many hours a month the carpenter spends watching videos? Is 60 a bit on the high side?
    • moremore
    • By moremore 18th Feb 17, 9:18 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    That was my first thought. The bank stops your debit card from working at overdraft limit + x. This is a regulatory failing.

Despite some of the porting issues others have experienced, I am glad I have set my Plusnet SIM to a hard cap of £2 per month over the monthly sub; it also limits any liabilities if things go wrong.
    Originally posted by miller
    I got G4 Moto smart phone never had smart phone before, how do I put a cap on it not go over £1 month on pay as you go vouchers. Had dreadful problems company after stressful time got it sorted out now, I downloaded their app but scared to let them take over my phone now.
    • moremore
    • By moremore 18th Feb 17, 9:22 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    That's why I find streaming Sky Go an insane idea.

I just buy a disposable SIM when I travel.

Get a dual SIM phone, it's great.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    what is a dual sim and can it be used in Moto G4 smart phone please. I
    though you could only use one sim on phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter