IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Premier Parking Solutions - Worried now because I gave them my name and address..

13»

Comments

• Evening everyone,

Today I travelled back to the car-park from which I received my ticket. If anything it has made me more angry as it just proves that whoever issues the Apppeal Rejection Letters has no clue about the site's in question (I know you all already realise this!).

Basically, as i don't know how to post photos to this page, my wife and I scoured the car-park looking for incriminating signs - we couldn't find anything that would back up their claim that I'm in the wrong.

At the entrance there's a sign stating:

"Welcome To Crossways"
    PRIVATE LAND
    All vehicles must Pay & Display
    or have a valid permit
    See notices in car park for details
    CAMERA ENFORCEMENT IN OPERATION

And that is all says apart from giving the operator's (PPS) details underneath
    Then there is another sign:

Welcome To
    Crossways
    Pay & Display Car Park
    80p Per Hour
    £3 For 12 Hours

Then there's another sign:

Welcome To Crossways Pay & Display car Park
    Please Pay at meter and display your ticket clearly on the vehicle dashboard
    (With arrows pointing to meter and exit)

Then another larger sign (which I thought would be the incriminating one as under it has a list of 13 Conditions. These are all listed under a statement that reads

"Parking conditions enforced with patrols and automatic number plate recognition cameras"
    Conditions of Parking - Warning: Contractual Agreement
    (Without listing all the Conditions)
    1) all vehicles must display a valid ticket in the front windshield at all times
    11) if paying by phone or if required to enter a vehicle registration to authorise parking full & exact details must be entered correctly
    12) Full payment must be made before leaving site (I thought this one was very telling!)

There is nothing written on the actual ticket machine apart from what is already stated above.

I cannot believe these people are still allowed to operate car-parks in this fraudulent manner. I would be happy to go to court just to show them up for the shysters that they actually are. Once this matter is closed is there anywhere I can go to make a formal complaint?

Once again, thanks for your advice - it has been very welcome
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I cannot believe these people are still allowed to operate car-parks in this fraudulent manner. I would be happy to go to court just to show them up for the shysters that they actually are.
    Nor can we, that's why we come here every day.

Trading Standards might take an interest, especially as you bought a ticket and left with 45 minutes still available to park. This was no overstay nor failure to pay & display. Terrible isn't it? Anyway another method of exposing this scam is to your MP and Mrs May, and the DCLG (Marcus Jones) as they still have 'not decided' their plan of action following a consultation paper last year about private parking scammers.

Hat tip to IamEmanresu, for this summary from Hansard this past week:

Steve McCabe: [54501]
    To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, what assessment he has made of the potential merits of requiring private car parking firms to join an accredited body to ensure that customers who wish to challenge fines have the right to an independent appeal process.

Mr Marcus Jones:
    HMG has looked extensively into the issue of requiring private car parking firms to join an accredited body and has determined a voluntary membership approach is a sufficient safeguard.

The Government promotes a system of industry self-regulation by the parking sector. Private parking companies have the option to join an Accredited Trade Association (ATA). This means they can then access vehicle keeper data from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. They must operate under the ATA’s code of practice and provide free access to an independent appeals process. If a company fails to comply with the code of practice, it can be suspended or expelled.
    If a motorist has concerns about the operating practices of any individual parking company, then motorists have the option of reporting them to trading standards and in the first instance should seek to contact Citizens Advice.

Gill Furniss: [54482]
    To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, when he plans to publish his Department's response to the Parking Reform: Tackling Unfair Practices consultation.

Mr Marcus Jones:
    We have set out a clear manifesto commitment to tackle aggressive parking enforcement and excessive parking charges, and taking steps to tackle rogue and unfair practices by private parking operators. This government has put in place a range of measures to reform the behaviour of private parking companies, including the banning of wheel clamping and towing. The Government is committed to reforming unfair parking practices and supporting our town centres. The discussion paper ‘Parking reform: tackling unfair practices’ sought thoughts and comments on the private parking sector. My Department published a summary of the responses on 11 May 2016. I am considering responses to the discussion paper, and options for reform.

Soooo, tell the DCLG in writing (with copies of the threatening letters) about your issue and the fact this is a company that is under the IPC but that their 'appeals system' the IAS (run by the same people who run Gladstones Solicitors who act for parking firms to sue people) is considered by the public to be such an allegedly-biased 'kangaroo court' that no-one with any sense, tries any more because parking firms always win, putting consumers on the back foot even prior to any court claim.

Make it really clear that self-regulation of this industry DOES NOT WORK. And that the CAB have no idea about the issue.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure