PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Duolingo - have you tried it?

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I must take another look. I used it a while ago and didn't find it as versatile as some of the descriptions I've read on here. What I used was just a way of practising vocabulary and some stock phrases by rote.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've bookmarked it, as I would at some point like to brush up my Welsh; but at present I just don't have the time to spare.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can drill down the options in Duolingo to cover basic grammar etc - I'm using it via the website rather than the mobile app. I think Duolingo is supposed to be fun way to learn a language rather than a deadly earnest attempt at a language qualification. I have no affiliation with the site - just thought it was a jolly (and free) resource.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I am doing the Italian. I love it. 10 minutes a day and I really think it is a good idea if only to keep my memory active. Italian is supposed to be one of the easiest languages to learn so I'm glad i opted for it as I was never great at school. I don't expect it to turn me into a fluent speaker but i have been doing it since August and plan to do conversational Italian at college next year in the evenings if I am still interested. I would definitely recommend it.:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Launched mid-2012. Its not exactly "Old Style"
    But free, so in the spirit....
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not good for learning new stuff, especially grammar (has conjugations on there but no explanations, patterns etc.), however very good for keeping your interest up and ongoing revision.

I am 17% fluent in Spanish :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Proxima_Centauri
    Options
    Thanks, I may use it to brush up on my (very) rusty French and Russian!
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Smashing tool for getting the rust off, or imparting the basic vocab in a way a teacher hasn't time & patience to try in a biggish class. I'm using memrise to gradually build a vocabulary & duolingo to assemble phrases & tangle with tenses...

And I really cannot quibble with the price. Free is always within my budget, it's the time that works out pricey!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I found this the other day. I want to learn basic Russian, so I have some idea what people are chatting about at work, I am nosey like that :rotfl:

Sadly Russian is not available on the app and my pc doesn't have speakers :(

I am not interested in the writing just speaking, does anyone know if its any good for learning from scratch and if its worth me buying speakers for?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For Russian, yes speakers are more than worth it! Beautiful language to listen to & you don't need speakers to try it with headphones at a library? (Very MS - try, & if you like it, go in for it it more deeply!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure