MSE News: Energy firms ordered to provide extra support to more vulnerable customers

Options
EE customers have been told to stop using the firm's portable mobile 'power bar' chargers immediately...
Read the full story:
'Hundreds of thousands more vulnerable energy customers will get extra support from their suppliers from 2017'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    MSE_Callum wrote: »
    EE customers have been told to stop using the firm's portable mobile 'power bar' chargers immediately...
    Read the full story:
    Looks like someone was on the beer last night. What has this to do with help by energy suppliers to the vulnerable?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You must give help to read meters and give extra support - but you don't have to give them access to your cheapest tariff, well done OFGEM. :mad:
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Help the vulnerable?
    Can they even help the able bodied, and sound of mind?

A cheerful voice will call up, saying how can we help, and then fail to help in every possible way. Offer £50 compensation, because he/she just sits behind a telephone. Close the case, job done.

Offer free euthanasia instead, it's more merciful.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Looks like someone was on the beer last night. What has this to do with help by energy suppliers to the vulnerable?

Very little, in my experience.

molerat wrote: »
    You must give help to read meters and give extra support - but you don't have to give them access to your cheapest tariff, well done OFGEM. :mad:

As I've stated in another thread, "vulnerable" customers don't have access to cheaper tariffs or specifically cheaper tariffs. It's never going to happen.
    Pincher wrote: »

Offer free euthanasia instead, it's more merciful.

Well, there's a solution?

Frankly, it all means nothing. I've been on the register for some time.

a) I've never had a password to safely identify representatives

b) I only see a rep, once a year

c) "Advance notice of power cuts and information on any help available during emergencies" - Impossible for unplanned power cuts. Help? - You're having a larf. You're in the same boat as everyone else experiencing a power cut.

It real terms, it means nothing. It's just words, in any case.

What extra help do suppliers provide via the register?

Those on the register currently get extra support from suppliers and power networks, including:

A password so they can safely identify representatives who visit their homes
    Readings for customers who struggle to read their meters
    Advance notice of power cuts and information on any help available during emergencies
    Ofgem believes the change in eligibility rules will mean hundreds of thousands more customers could benefit from being on the register.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Micron
    Micron Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It real terms, it means nothing. It's just words, in any case.
    Ofgem make it quite clear on how they help vulnerable customers.

Ofgem’s Consumer Vulnerability Strategy
    Our strategy explains how we define vulnerability and the approach we encourage market participants to take to protect and empower consumers in vulnerable situations, so they are not disadvantaged by their circumstances.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The priority services register (PSR) does work. I have known generators brought to customers homes who are on Oxygen or have stair lifts and stand alone heaters and table top cookers also loaned to customers. This work is done by the local distributors and the gas transporters. Once you are on the register, your supplier lets those companies know. Regarding passwords you can ask for this at any time, even if you are not on the register.

If anyone helps with family or friends they should make sure they are on the PSR.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport