Adobe Flash Player problems.

I have a Windows Vista operating system and use Opera as my browser. When I try to check that my version of Flash Player is up to date it's telling me that my plugin wont work. I've tried re-installing but no joy I'm afraid.
Any advice please.
Thank you.

Comments

• Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Fightsback wrote: »

Yes, I'm thinking about doing this. I do have Firefox, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work that well on my laptop.
    I was wondering if members have any experience of using any of these?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898509/browsers/10-obscure-highly-specialized-browsers-that-will-make-you-forget-about-chrome-firefox-and-ie.html#slide10

Thank you.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Yes, I'm thinking about doing this. I do have Firefox, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work that well on my laptop...

Thank you.

I use Firefox (or derivatives) and Chromium (open source version of Google Chrome) on many different systems and OS architectures generally without issue.

I suspect your could be down to the condition of your operating system and/or other installed software such as antivirus even perhaps malware or adware. There are lots of different things that can cause problems so it's worth going through a basic start checklist

Some general things to do are:

1) Make sure the video drivers are up to date.

2) Windows is fully up to date

3) Make sure you are running only one AV package.

4) Run malwarebytes, choose free download but do not chose the free trial of MWB during install.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

5 ) Remove any browser plugins or addons you might have.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Fightsback wrote: »
    I use Firefox (or derivatives) and

5 ) Remove any browser plugins or addons you might have.

Thank you for reply but won't removing any addons or plugins affect other functionality?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you don't know what the plug in does, remove it. If you find you need it again, reinstall it.
    If you know you need the plugin, don't remove it.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Firefox is awesome .

As above, your OS is likely in a bad way.

Malwartebytes and Adw cleaner , and then reinstall firefox
  • Vista is your problem
  • If you look at the Opera forums you will see there are big problems with the latest update (v23.0.0.162) to Adobe Flash with that browser, and in fact many Chromium ones. See http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15250073
    I also had problems with it in Palemoon, freezing on various sites and have now reverted to the long term support version 18.0.0.135.

Opera used to be a great browser but when they moved to being a Chrome clone it is not so much nowadays. But many do use it and it should not be dismissed in the way it is being done in this thread. This is absolutely nothing to do with viruses etc, it is clearly a bug in the latest version of flash.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2016 at 6:29PM
    If you look at the Opera forums you will see there are big problems with the latest update (v23.0.0.162) to Adobe Flash with that browser, and in fact many Chromium ones. See http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15250073
    I also had problems with it in Palemoon, freezing on various sites and have now reverted to the long term support version 18.0.0.135.

Opera used to be a great browser but when they moved to being a Chrome clone it is not so much nowadays. But many do use it and it should not be dismissed in the way it is being done in this thread. This is absolutely nothing to do with viruses etc, it is clearly a bug in the latest version of flash.

Can't say I've seen a problem on both Linux or W10 for both the latest FF and Chromium using the latest flash. I've not tested using an Intel graphics system but seems fine on AMD/Nvidia so it could be a driver/flash interaction, not unheard of.

However complete failure of plugin loading (or otherwise) suggests another root cause for the derivative browsers you have mentioned. The original source browsers seem fine as far as I can see. Perhaps I am justified in dismissing the derivatives ?
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • If you look at the Opera forums you will see there are big problems with the latest update (v23.0.0.162) to Adobe Flash with that browser, and in fact many Chromium ones. See http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15250073

As mentioned I have Vista OS and use Opera browser. I've downloaded an earlier version of Flash Player, Flash Player(fp_22.0.0.209, and am now able to view enabled FP content. However, I wonder in doing this have I left myself open to far greater risk of malware attacking my computer?
    After installing older version I did a scan with Malwarebytes and everything was OK, but even so, I wonder if I've taken a big chance in installing the earlier version?
    Comments appreciated.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family