HL stocks and shares isa - investment advice

Options

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    Have you looked at the information available on the HL site to help you decide? It's quite comprehensive.

Indeed I have and there is so much info, hence why I took a while to decide!

Opted for Vanguard LS80 for now.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What made you choose HL?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Options
    You can never underestimate behavioural risk. it is one thing saying that you would not pull out but its another thing when the risk event actually happens and the media is doing its usual scaremongering.

Until you have been through your first crash, you never really know how you are going to react.
    Given the level of investment, I'd say 40-50%. If I suddenly had 20k invested I would more than likely drop that to 25-30%, but that is only if the proportion of investments:cash ratio did not stay the same.

40-50% is more high risk (VLS100). 25-30% is more high medium (bordering between VLS60 and VLS80).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • adonis10
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    What made you choose HL?

Lack of knowledge so did some research on here and Internet and decided it was a better option than virgin. Nothing scientific.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Lack of knowledge so did some research on here and Internet and decided it was a better option than virgin. Nothing scientific.

Ok. They are very user friendly for inexperienced investors. No transaction fees for buying & selling funds, but as your 'pot' get bigger they will be much more expensive, due to their 0.45% annual fee.

You might want to have a look here in due course

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Actually, I'd recommend reading around more of Monevator's website - especially the Passive Investing section.
  • adonis10
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Ok. They are very user friendly for inexperienced investors. No transaction fees for buying & selling funds, but as your 'pot' get bigger they will be much more expensive, due to their 0.45% annual fee.

You might want to have a look here in due course

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Actually, I'd recommend reading around more of Monevator's website - especially the Passive Investing section.

Exactly, that's another reason why I chose them for now. As I become more savvy and build up the pot, I'll move to a less expensive provider.

Thanks for the info and tips.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    A word of caution. HL has loads of stuff online and it all looks quite professional but it is fairly expensive which I see above someone has told you. I use the Halifax sharedealing service as my "pot" is quite large now so fee structure is good for that and have found them excellent. They dealt with the transfer of my funds really well too. Cavendish were also good which I used prior to Halifax.

Personally I use the Vanguard lifestrategy 60 but I am older than you (56). Read up on monevator and trustnet. Money moustache man.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • adonis10
    Options
    A word of caution. HL has loads of stuff online and it all looks quite professional but it is fairly expensive which I see above someone has told you. I use the Halifax sharedealing service as my "pot" is quite large now so fee structure is good for that and have found them excellent. They dealt with the transfer of my funds really well too. Cavendish were also good which I used prior to Halifax.

Personally I use the Vanguard lifestrategy 60 but I am older than you (56). Read up on monevator and trustnet. Money moustache man.

Fair enough. To be fair it looks better than Virgin and is less than half the cost so I'm going in the right direction.

Can you change providers more than once in a year?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Exactly, that's another reason why I chose them for now. As I become more savvy and build up the pot, I'll move to a less expensive provider.

Thanks for the info and tips.

I moved from Virgin to HL about 5 years ago when I finally realised my Virgin S&S ISA was costing me a fortune and I wanted some more diversification.

So far I have been very happy with them - their website is very easy to use and whenever I've needed to use their support they have been very helpful. However my portfolio is now getting to the size where the fees are starting to add up so I will probably be looking to change again in the next year.
  • adonis10
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I moved from Virgin to HL about 5 years ago when I finally realised my Virgin S&S ISA was costing me a fortune and I wanted some more diversification.

So far I have been very happy with them - their website is very easy to use and whenever I've needed to use their support they have been very helpful. However my portfolio is now getting to the size where the fees are starting to add up so I will probably be looking to change again in the next year.

Did you ever see an itemisation of the management charges? In the 5 years I had it, it never once showed up on the online history or paper statements..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure