Money Moral Dilemma: Should I continue using my student card?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I graduated in the summer, however my student card doesn't have an expiration date on it and I've been able get discounts with it in a few places since. Is it bad for me to keep doing this even though I'm now in full-time work?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Course you should keep using your card. I bought a 3 year NUS card when I'm only studying for 2 years. Perhaps I should return my card next year.......
  • cheesetoast
    Options
    Seeing as NUS cards have been available at various times to university alumni, as well as students, I'd say it's all good.

I've been renewing my one from the Endsleigh deal for the last few years... and I left uni 10 years ago.

Although I never ask "do you do student discount?", I ask "do you do discount for NUS card holders?" - I legitimately have the card, and if they answer yes, I'm legitimately getting the discount.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    My experience is that stores that offer student discounts offer a cash discount for anyone who pushes for one.
    Especially just before they close on a wet Tuesday and the manager is desperate to "do the day."
  • AnneMary
    Options
    Use it while you can. You may be in full time work but you also are likely to have major debt.
    As Cheesetoast says the discount is for having the NUS card not for being a student.
  • DEVILFISH
    Options
    Even though you may not technically be a student; with the aftermath of studying i.e. debt and time to find and get settled in a job plus waiting for that first pay cheque etc is more than enough for me to think it is morally acceptable to continue using the card
    Regards

Mark
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would keep using it as long as possible! Most companies are starting to only accept My Unidays now which is not good for me as I have a student card for studying with CII. NUS works fine but My Unidays don't accept it :(
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • gaving7095
    Options
    The card's still valid so yes, use it. There's no dilemma as far as I can see.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course. It is still valid, so why not use it?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    Wrong to say they should use it as they are not a student and therefore should not be getting a student discount anymore despite the card having no expiry date, Yet again the take, take take nature of people in this day and age is just beyond me.

It is always about gaining things at an advantage and free where they should not apply.
  • Mjkpio
    Options
    Absolutely use it!

I recently did a 3 month course at a college and had the chance to buy an NUS card while I was studying... obviously I took the opportunity to buy a 3 year NUS card! I don't use it for a lot but it's handy to have for a few key items (Co-op, cinema, spotify!)

Go for it, you've paid for it.
    Save/Pay for wedding & honeymoon by Aug 18 = COMPLETED!
    Debt free by Dec 2018 = TBD
    Savings Target by July 2019 = £20,000

2016 Goal = Buy a house with 10% deposit : COMPLETED!
    2017/18 Goals = Pay off Student Loan (COMPLETED!) & Car Loan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport