Curriculm info and extra work for your kids questions

Hi Guys,

Not sure that is in the right section (sorry if its not) our eldest son is starting Year 3 in primary school and we wanted to do some extra work with him as we don't want to send him tuition; does anyone use a specific company or website where i can get current curriculm and work with him during the year.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    do you have concerns about how he is getting on at school?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Try keeping him away from screens, talk to him, enlarge his vocabulary, engage him in simple maths (I need 2 tins of beans, how much is that? when at the supermarket), show him things to engage his interest, flowers in the garden, worms and insects, birds. There's a world of knowledge around us, you don't need websites or tuition, you just need to help him to develop curiosity.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 4:46PM
    If you feel you need to give your child extra work to avoid tuition in Yr3 maybe it's a change of school that is necessary.

No child without learning difficulties so early in their school life should need extra tuition or work beyond everyday communications to increase vocabulary, awareness of their surroundings and practical maths if they are receiving a good education.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

No child so early in their school life should need extra tuition or work beyond everyday communications to increase vocabulary, awareness of their surroundings and practical maths if they are receiving a good education.

They may need help if they have special needs.(eg dyslexia)
  • Put sub-titles on TV programmes when they watch them.
    Recite the times tables
    Ask questions around everyday things eg. We need 4 forks and 4 knifes for dinner, how many pieces of cutlery is that.
    Listen to them read
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Put sub-titles on TV programmes when they watch them.
    Recite the times tables
    Ask questions around everyday things eg. We need 4 forks and 4 knifes for dinner, how many pieces of cutlery is that.
    Listen to them read

Its 8!!!!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    At that age the most important thing is learning to read and learning the times tables. If you spend a little time on each of these each night then I wouldn't worry about piling on extra work.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,638 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We need 4 forks and 4 knifes for dinner, how many pieces of cutlery is that.
    Listen to them read

I would never usually correct a spelling mistake, which in this case could possibly be a typo, but as this thread is about learning, the plural of knife is knives
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    They may need help if they have special needs.(eg dyslexia)

Well obviously, but OP didn't post that they wanted extra work for their dyslexic child.

There you go, I altered my previous post.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • I agree with other posters - talk to your son, invite questions, help him to develop a curious mind. When you need an answer, use books to look things up. It's easier on Google, but using a book helps to develop skills such as finding words that are in alphabetical order, reading, spelling words correctly, estimating (for example, where in the book a certain page number is likely to be), and patience.

If you want to help your son to develop further, you could consider putting his name down for Cubs (there might be a waiting list). He will learn about a wide variety of topics, from outdoor skills to life skills to crafts. It's great fun and doesn't feel as though it is all about learning - whereas sitting at a computer on educational websites might be a bit classroom-like after a day at school.

It's also worth remembering that children still enjoy having books read to them at this age, as well as them needing to read to you. Joining the library is a good idea, as your son can read books of his own choosing. He's more likely to develop a love of reading if it isn't forced, but gently encouraged. Being a good role model is vital too, so make sure he sees you reading for pleasure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure