iPhone iOS10 a risk to children

So here's the scenario. I have an iPhone 6. My daughter has a Blackberry. We also have a MAC at home.

I upgrade my iPhone to iOS10 on day 1 of the release. I go to work and drop my daughter off to school.

I finish work and start travelling 1 hour back to her school. She texts me to ask me what time I will arrive and also to tell me where to meet.

I pull over and text her. No reply. I try to call her. No answer (Bad reception where she is). I text her again and again and again. No response.

So by this stage I'm a little concerned. I eventually go to where I often pick her up and somehow manage to get through to her on the phone. She says to me, "Why didn't you reply to my texts?" I tell her that I did.

After about a week of her not receiving texts I discover why.

Apple decided to remove the "Send as Text" option that was previously available. Instead, they decided to implement a system whereby the IOS is meant to detect if it can't send as an iMessage and instead send as a regular text. What apple failed to realise is that if you have iMessage installed on your MAC at home, the IOS will think it can actually send as iMessage. This meant that all my texts were going to the MAC but not her phone. Not only that, this feature doesn't detect straight away and so in reality would mean the recipient waits ages to get each message.

I have now completely disabled iMessage on my iPHone because I want my damn messages to arrive. I feel that my messages getting to my daughter are more important than fancy balloons and fireworks etc etc.

Well done Apple for making the phone worse!!

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You didnt have to upgrade. Your daughter was clearly not at risk she just couldnt text you.

Id suggest keeping a 50 pence piece and your daughters phone number on some paper so you can ring her from a pay phone should a similar thing happen again.

Or try one of the other hundreds of apps available to send messages.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    spadoosh wrote: »
    You didnt have to upgrade. Your daughter was clearly not at risk she just couldnt text you.

Id suggest keeping a 50 pence piece and your daughters phone number on some paper so you can ring her from a pay phone should a similar thing happen again.

Is that advice? Why bother?
    Pants
  • Do you write for the Daily Mail?

With the thread title I thought maybe iOS10 was activity attempting to murder babies or something.

I do however understand that this is an issue that others have reported with this version but can't see any obvious fix other than turning off imessage.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you checked that you have the option to send as text messages selected as I can send iMessages as texts,....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • There is indeed a setting under messages that says:
    Send as SMS (when imessage is unavailable).

I actually misread your post thinking your daughter had a mac and you were sending your messages to that instead.

I am on iOS 10 and if I send a message to a non iphone, it will always go as text.

I think you need to check this setting.
  • Hi,

The option "Send as SMS" has a description that says, "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable."

If you happen to have iMessage also installed on your MAC at home, when you try to send a message to that person, it will only go to the MAC because it thinks the recipient is on iMessage.
  • spadoosh wrote: »

LOL!!

If I happen to see a phone box in the woods on the way to work I'll know I've been transported back in time!!

Oh, are you answering from a phone box

http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_1/icons/icon10.gif
  • I'm pretty sure the minimum charge on a payphone is now 60p also... :)
  • gr1340 wrote: »
    Do you write for the Daily Mail?

With the thread title I thought maybe iOS10 was activity attempting to murder babies or something.

I do however understand that this is an issue that others have reported with this version but can't see any obvious fix other than turning off imessage.

LOL!! Yeah headline was a headline grabber I have to admit :D
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 September 2016 at 2:46PM
    someones going to have to help me out here.

i was under the impression an imac was a computer?

So if you are trying to send a message to a mobile phone number why does it go to the computer do imacs get allocated their own telephone number that is the same as the owners mobile number?

I have always disabled imessages on my phones as I don't want to take up my limited mobile data when I have unlimited texts with my provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure