Next Directory PPI Success

Options
2»

Comments

• WatchMan
    WatchMan Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Regulation of Insurance products began in 2005 as already stated, so you would have had no access to the Ombudsman had your complaint not been upheld.

Well done on your success (and for finding this oddly titled thread as a first time poster)! :)

Next PPI was dealt with by two, maybe three underwriters. I know that at least one of these have taken responsibility for pre-regulation complaints.

So they may have been able to go to the ombudsman... dependant upon who underwrote their particular policy.
  • monkeyblonde
    Options
    Thanks Daisy, this is just the kind of advice that I was looking for. Can you recall the circumstances regarding your policy being put in place? I know that time is not on my side with regards to memory however I do not believe that there is any way that I would have been sold this in the way suggested by Next.

Also, is your success in claiming a recent one? I have been told to speak with Groupama but if you have dealt with Phoenix recently I may try them first. When I spoke to the FoS earlier today who I know cannot help me with Next specifically due to regulation (or lack of) I explained that sending my active account details to what appears to be a lot of random addresses is not necessarily the most secure! Hence another reason I'd like to ensure where I'm sending to is correct.
  • Daisy64
    Options
    Hello Monkeyblonde,
    I have had my Next Directory account for a long time, I don't have all my statements and I had no idea when I had PPI.Some threads say that Next automatically added the PPI and customers had to contact them if they didn't want it.I do remember getting a letter to say they were stopping doing PPI after the mis selling news broke.Anyway I complained directly to Phoenix insurance as the underwriters of the policy that the benefits and limitations of the policy hadn't been explained to me and as I have an existing medical condition and get sick pay from my employers it wasn't suitable for me and I wanted a full refund of all the premiums paid.
    In their reply, Phoenix state that PPI was added to my account on December 21st 1998 and cancelled from December 2011.
    "In the absence of any policy documentation to the contrary,we cannot establish that you were made aware of the benefits compared to the costs,and if you had been,our opinion is that you would not have taken the policy out.As a result we are upholding your complaint"
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WatchMan wrote: »
    Next PPI was dealt with by two, maybe three underwriters. I know that at least one of these have taken responsibility for pre-regulation complaints.

So they may have been able to go to the ombudsman... dependant upon who underwrote their particular policy.

Except, for pre-2005 complaints they cannot go to the FOS as it was pre-regulation so the regulatory body has no power!
  • WatchMan
    WatchMan Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Except, for pre-2005 complaints they cannot go to the FOS as it was pre-regulation so the regulatory body has no power!

The underwriter would be in jurisdiction - and so long as there is relationship between the underwriter and the seller, then FOS can look into the complaint.

That's how FOS is able to look into other store cards when the sale was pre-regulation. EG: Marks and Spencer cards (Allianz) or GE Capital/Santander Cards UK products, like Debenhams cards etc (Financial Insurance Company Limited).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure