would you send someone's present 2 months after their birthday?

Options
As above, really. I know people see things differently, so was interested in getting others' opinions.

Someone's birthday was at the end of May, but the family were coming to visit them in mid-July and so decided to bring the gifts with them when they came down, presumably to save posting them.

I said I thought that was a bit off!

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    if they are an adult then yes.. it's great to get presents at other times of the year.. I'd love to get a present in July.. Mothers Day is as good as it gets for me.

If you are neither the giver nor the recipient I don't think your opinion really matters.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Dill
    Dill Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    if they are an adult then yes.. it's great to get presents at other times of the year.. I'd love to get a present in July.. Mothers Day is as good as it gets for me.

If you are neither the giver nor the recipient I don't think your opinion really matters.

I gave them a present.. at the end of May!

Just a general question, anyway. Yes the recipient is an adult. I don't think it would feel like a birthday present if it was 2 months late, presonally. 2 days, maybe, or 2 weeks at a push, but not two months!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I gave my dad his Father's Day card and gift yesterday. They were abroad on the day, his present was fragile and not suitable for posting and this was the first time I had seen him in 6 weeks. He certainly didn't seem upset at the delay.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    If the gift is large and heavy the postal charges could well be higher than the value of the contents.
  • Trixi
    Trixi Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2016 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me in the least - giving or receiving (obviously, if I was going to be late giving it then I would let them know!). Don't mind if it 'feels like' a birthday gift - it's a gift and that's what counts.

Maybe they think it would feel nicer and more personal if they hand it over in person, rather than send it through the post?
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They probably haven't bought it yet, or it's something you can't really post, or maybe quite frankly they see it as such a small issue that they wouldn't expect anyone to get the huff.

My sis in law gives me my present months in advance so she can tick it off her list and I can store it on her behalf. As she does with everyone. It's become a family joke.

Really, who cares about presents when they are adults.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    No I wouldn't. If not seeing someone beforehand then I would buy something suite for posting.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,182 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2016 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Sseriously, as an adult, who cares when they get gifts.

Be grateful getting a gift as an adult.
  • Dill
    Dill Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Options
    To me it's like giving someone their Christmas present in the middle of February, when everyone's forgotten about Christmas!
    Jagraf wrote: »
    My sis in law gives me my present months in advance so she can tick it off her list and I can store it on her behalf. As she does with everyone. It's become a family joke.

Actually I have an aunt who does that.. by the time the birthday comes round mum's more often than not forgotten where she's put the present!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    In my family a lot of presents come when we see each other/convenient. I have a cousin's christmas present with me still.

If all presents come at the same time they dilute each other - I rather like receiving some at other times.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport