Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to ask for my champers back?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Some friends invited me round for dinner recently and I brought a bottle of champagne I'd picked on my travels some years ago. We ended up not drinking it that night. A few months later I discovered that this champagne is now very rare and worth over £1,000. My friends aren't big drinkers and probably still have it - is it acceptable for me to ask for it back?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• hairypitz
    hairypitz Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You gave it to drink, so now it may be worth something it doesn't really matter that much.When you next see your friends tell them what you found out about it. Suggest enjoying it together (it must be good if it's worth money).
    Your nice friends may surprise you by telling you to take it back, you may alternatively get to enjoy an exotic tipple with them or they may say nothing and sell it themselves.
    However it works out, it's no real loss in the end.
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    Really, which Champagne house does it orignate from and what is the year?
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    If you gave it as a gift, then no. What's given away is no longer yours.

EDIT. Just noticed the "a few months later." If your friends kept a bottle of booze in their house for more than 24 hours without drinking it, then they deserve to lose it. Yes go and snatch it back
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2016 at 10:25AM
    Options
    If this is indeed a real dilemma; it puts me in mind of someone I knew some 15 years back, who sold something to a work colleague (I won't say what as it's too much information and may identify someone!) But the upshot is that this thing was a collectable. The person sold this item to his workmate for £150, and several months later, his workmate sold it for £1100 to an American buyer on ebay.

When the guy who sold the item got wind of it, he started demanding half the £1100, and his work colleague basically told him to do one.

This guy even contacted a solicitor to see if he had a case, and was told no, as the other guy had bought the item in good faith.

It caused a massive rift and made the workplace environment very uncomfortable.

I have no idea WHY the other guy felt the need to tell the first guy that he made almost £1000 from this sale, but the fact is that he didn't have to give the other guy any of the money.

The same thing applies here. You gave this champagne as a gift and have no right to have it back. You can ask, but they don't have to give it you.
    Really, which Champagne house does it originate from and what is the year?

You won't get an answer Andy. With these 'dilemmas,' the OP NEVER comes back with any additional info. It's almost like it's made up. :rotfl:
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • apesxx
    apesxx Posts: 583 Forumite
    Options
    It won't be worth anything if it hasn't been stored correctly, I.e laid flat rather than stood up x
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't tell you the brand of wine I've got in the kitchen right now, never mind the brand and age of something from months ago!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No, of course not. It isn't yours any more.

You can, if you wish, tell your friends what you have learned so that they can sell the wine if they wish.

They may be more generous than you and offer to give you wine r to open it so you can all taste it, or offer to give you a cut from the sale. But you gave it away. It's not yours any more, so they don't have to do anything at all except say "oh, that's interesting" when you tell them
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    I'd mention it to these friends as in ' wow, just discovered that champagne I brought might be a collectable - do you still have it, if so let's ebay it and split the profits!' then wait to see how they react. If they say they've drunk it, or otherwise look uncomfortable, then if you value the friendship, you need to say swiftly that it doesn't matter, it's just an interesting coincidence, and forget about it and move on.
    I'd also be interested to know, like other forumites above, just what champagne is so valuable, and how come you didn't know at the time you gave it away - how did you acquire it? Would really be nice to know!
  • nanny_beach
    nanny_beach Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    You gave the champers to your friends its no longer yours, BUT, I gave some things to a work colleaugue once she said she was interested in, then without using said items, sold them on e-bay, (told me) I thought that was a cheek frankly, because she had asked for these things, I did not expect her to make a profit on them, so I gave her no more. A friend at work once, brought 3 of us a packet of Walkers crisps when they used to contain a £10 note, our other friend opened hers, and there was a tenner, the "friend" who gave us the crisps practically broke her neck charging across the table to get what she considered was "hers" because she bought the crisps.
  • nanny_beach
    nanny_beach Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Mind you, as these said friends arent "big" drinkers why did you give it to them anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure