Money Moral Dilemma: Is it wrong to ask for something back for my staff discount?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I work at an designer clothes store and get a sizeable staff discount. I've used it to get items for friends on the cheap, but now more and more are asking and it's becoming a bit of a nuisance. Is it wrong for me to expect a few "perks" - drinks, lunch perhaps - in exchange for this?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It is probably gross misconduct if your company views you as demanding a benefit in return for reduced priced goods as staff discount is meant for the staff member and family not all your mates too. -it doesn't matter they are paying you in food or booze rather than cash.
    Effectively you could be seen as expecting your mates to pay for for the benefit and that can be a dismissable offence.

If you feel it's too much bother or risk or your kindness is not being appreciated - then say no. You can always invent a new company policy if you don't want to tell them the real reason.

(Yes I know it's another weak Nick invention before anyone says anything)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I get a staff discount - and the terms and conditions are that the discount is "for the member of staff only".

When my OH worked for a large store, again his staff discount was restricted to himself and spouse (me). Again, when No 3 son worked for B & Q he nominated me as the additional discount recipient.

So it would appear that the hypothetical question would mean that you couldn't get the discount for your friend.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Well, I wonder what your employers would have to say about you breaking the T&C's of the staff discount in the first place?

You might need to call in a few of those perks of your friends when you find yourself out on your ear....
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    My niece got dismissed from John Lewis for similar!
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    it's becoming a bit of a nuisance

Legalities + nuisance > say no> no rod for your back > bingo!

I didn't think people gave in anticipation of receiving but then it is a 'MSE dilemma'...
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As others have said, using it for other people is almost certianly a breach of the policuy and could result in you being disciplined or sacked. It might even be viewed as theft.
    So I'd suggest that you say to those asking you tat you've been told it is against policy to use the discount and so you won't be able to do it again.
    If they get pushy, you can respond "You realise I could lose my job if I do what you're asking?"
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I work in a garage and when my mum bought a car from there I asked what deal could be done for her. They did look after her and she may have got a few extras than joe blogs may have negotiated but if all and sundry started bothering me to get 'deals' I'd put a stop to it.

At the end of the day my job is more important than a friend's discount.
  • batvink
    batvink Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting...MSE think this is a dilemma rather than abuse and possibly gross misconduct.

If the MSE staff took the commission on click-throughs of friends from the site, would it be acceptable?

This is essentially putting money in your pocket rather than the till.
    "£50 Dress? That will be £40 and a couple of drinks tonight please."
    Thanks in advance,

Steve V
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    My son has a staff discount and he can nominate an additional recipient, so I have one too.

If he started giving his card out to all and sundry, this would be classed as gross misconduct.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Rather than 'expecting a few perks' why don't you just say NO!

Wouldn't that be a lot easier?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport