First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 20 May 2015 at 5:37PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi,

This is a feedback thread on boiler breakdown provider:

HES (Home Energy Services)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
  • Have you experienced problems?
  • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Boiler Breakdown Insurance guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony

Comments

• elliemansfield
    Options
    Two weeks ago my boiler broke down, I have insurance though home energy services, my boiler is still not fixed today. Terrible service, have been past from pillow to post, when it does eventually get fixed I shall be moving My insurance.
  • bjwood
    bjwood Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I would advise anyone considering using Home Energy Services to avoid them at all costs.

First, they failed to turn up to an annual inspection and didn't call me to let me know (half a day's holiday wasted). The earliest appointment they had was two months later.

A month after this our boiler broke down and left us with no hot water. Engineer came three days later and said his report would be filed within two days.

Two weeks later had heard nothing. I rang them to chase. To cut a very long story short this issue dragged on for over 7 weeks. In that time I spoke to 14 different people, was on the phone a total of over three hours and was told the parts the boiler needed couldn't be found and that I'd need to get a new boiler.

Their customer service is poor and I'm really not sure what I pay £18/month for.

What are my rights?
  • kellykats
    kellykats Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have posted a thread myself about my experiences with HES .I will summarise some of the main issues here.
    I called out an engineer as hot water was not as hot as it should be.
    Without opening the boiler or even taking his tool box from his van here diagnosed the fault as a blockage in the system or a build up of scale on the heat exchanger. I had had Eon do a flush less than 2 years previously. He then spent 30 mins waiting for a price for a new heat exchanger. I said I would not pay for the part & terminate the contract .I asked him if I decided to terminate the contract would I be charged for the overdue service that he was also to do. He advised I wouldn't but oh yes I would. I made several complaints through resolver & was told verbally the are not regulated so no ombudsman, they would not take an independant engineers report into account, I could pay HES for a second engineers( non independant) report. If I wanted further details such as there engineers & his managers opinion or a transcript of the phone calls I would have to pay. I have no further channels to persue so have just terminated the contract verbally & will cancel dd after last payment. I feel conned & feel HES are adopting a policy of make users pay.
  • Tulsa
    Options
    Home Energy Service provide an appalling service. Was left without heating and hot water for 2 weeks over the Easter period. Took time off work, engineer failed to turn up. Was told an alternative would be rescheduled, didnt happen. Was told there was no-one to complain to about this as they werent governed by anyone. Cost me money in food (could only have takeaways as they turned off the gas too) stressed family and going to friends to use facilities. Will never use them again. They dont care about service or customers
  • EddieC_2
    Options
    I have had Home Energy Services cover for a year now. When I took it out I paid £17.08 per month as stated on the site. The renewal has just arrived and they quote £30.50 per month for renewal.
    I called them and haggled and the price came down to £20 per month. Haggling with them is very worthwhile.

Also as a bonus my previous cover was with British Gas, they could never get the hot water above warm unless the water was only tracking. The HES engineer changed a valve and now the water is too hot to put your hand in, Marvelous.
  • teamwork
    teamwork Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So grateful for all your reviews. I was just about to sign up to HES and then I read what you all wrote on this Forum and had a close escape!
  • frenchbob_2
    Options
    Well I didn't heed the warnings about HES! Cancelled my NPower cover (never needed to use it so don't know if any good) to take up the offer of £8pm with HES as recommended on MSE!!

After a number of weeks and three failed appointments for boiler inspection, taking time off to be home, I finally cancelled the contract. How can I have faith in them if they ca't even keep at least one out of three appointments?

I see they are still on the MSE site as a recommendation. Well, I would say DON'T BOTHER!

I decided not to bother with boiler cover, just put aside some each month in case.

Regards,
  • Sam56
    Options
    I was just about to sign up to HES and thought I would check out any reviews. Really glad I did now! I think I'll give them a miss and stick with BG.
  • Littleblue123
    Options
    Well I didn't take notice of the warnings above and have signed up to a years contract.

Initail inspection was booked and the engineer ddn't bother turning up, when I called the Customer Services they blamed an I.T. problem which hadn't booked in the appointment.
    I arranged a second appointment and again no one bothered to show up. CS said the engineer had to be diverted to an emergency, fair enough but why had no one bothered to call me....!!?

I am going to check my contract to see if I can cancel it, I have no faith that anyone will turn up and what if I had a emergency, it doesn't bode well for the future.
    I was with British Gas but they are so expensive.....so thought I'd try HSE. Wrong descision!!
  • yvonneuk
    Options
    Don't go with HES they use to be called eon, i had terrible problems when they were eon took over 3 weeks to get a part for my boiler on a number of occasions.

The last time they came out 2 years ago i ended up having a few different people come out and got told that i was lucky my boiler didnt blow up, the loom was live ( in all the years i was with eon and hes why wasnt i told this before) and as far as i knew hes/eon were the same company just changed names?. I use to get an electric shock when i touched my cooker hob, not had that happen since we got a new boiler.

I ended up getting a new boiler but got cover with hes for just the service as thats what was required for the free cover with worcester. I rang hes over 2 weeks ago and my appointment is set for 11th jan. I was gob smacked as the service doesnt take that long.
    Once ive had my service im cancelling and then looking for full cover with someone else, as my two years free cover with worcester has finished.

hes always ask if you have kids or are over a certain age, even if you have emergency cover which i always have, and you still arent a priority unless you are a child or over a certain age.

A friend told me british gas dont do that, but then again she does have a child, so im not sure whether to go with british gas or not now. confused dot com lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure