MSE News: Cameron wins the election, but what does it mean for your wallet?

Options
Find out how the Conservative Party's policies affect your pocket...
Read the full story:

Cameron wins the election, but what does it mean for your wallet?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you stop posting irrelevant stuff in the Consumer Rights board please? Not a single issue in that report has anything to do with Consumer Rights. Discussion Time would be a better home for it, or split it up and post the sections on the relevant boards.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Could you stop posting irrelevant stuff in the Consumer Rights board please? Not a single issue in that report has anything to do with Consumer Rights. Discussion Time would be a better home for it, or split it up and post the sections on the relevant boards.

I imagine that when you make your own MSE-related forum you can post whatever you want as a moderator...
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    I imagine that when you make your own MSE-related forum you can post whatever you want as a moderator...

It still isn't a "Consumer Rights" issue though.

There are other subforms discussing the election, this isn't one of them.

Other than the two news posts that have been dumped here, because "reasons."
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    It still isn't a "Consumer Rights" issue though.

There are other subforms discussing the election, this isn't one of them.

Other than the two news posts that have been dumped here, because "reasons."

When you make your own MSE forum, you can make moderator posts wherever you like.
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you're rich, you're going to get richer; if you're poor, sick, disabled or unemployed, you're going to get a hell of lot poorer. Simplistic, but how it's always been under the Tories, and I haven't seen anything to make me think things are going to be any different this time around.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Basically :

Do you receive any type of "in work benefit" such as tax credits, child tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit ?

If the Answer is NO, then you should be OK

If it is Yes, you need in work benefits to make ends meet, then you my friend are in very serious trouble, if you voted for them as well, then you will be getting exactly what you voted for, Austerity, right in your own household.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Basically :

Do you receive any type of "in work benefit" such as tax credits, child tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit ?

If the Answer is NO, then you should be OK

If it is Yes, you need in work benefits to make ends meet, then you my friend are in very serious trouble, if you voted for them as well, then you will be getting exactly what you voted for, Austerity, right in your own household.

I'm ok then. 👍
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2015 at 7:29PM
    Options
    We receive in work benefits and due to each of our earnings pay shockingly little in tax - and this extra money we get from the government genuinely takes us out of what would be absolute poverty and gives us the ability to at least live a reasonable quality of life - we're not exactly wel off but can afford some luxuries and a chicken dinner each week.

Yet, despite our lack of contributions we also get free health care, which we've experienced over the last 12 months to be exceptional.
    Our household bills don't seem to have risen over the last few years, in fact over the last year it has fallen significantly (thanks to aldi and fuel prices).
    Our council have recently agreed to help us with our rent.

And it's thanks to our benefits system i'm on course to undertake an apprenticeship next year and will receive support to help with my even lower wage. Yet, just one month after I start i'll get a 60p p/h pay rise, come January we'll get 15 free hours child care, and this year my OH will pay less tax and see her wage increase thanks to NMW.

So we as a family are very appreciative of the system that is in place, despite the many criticisms.

I feel like the system in place is one that won't make me wealthy but does allows me opportunity.

Okay there are many short comings and what appear like injustices, particularly in the way they deal with apprentices that are over 24, in the way i've had to pay £000s for my current studies because we earned slightly more than the guy next to me who got a full remission. Of course there are many around me who are in two parent families who seem to have more money than me... so maybe there is an argument some areas of society receiving benefits are receiving too much.

But when I finally qualify in my chosen industry, and if I become successful with a good pay pack I won't begrudge paying in to the system but will expect to be frowned up on by the poorer whom see the rich through tinted glasses. Of course using the term rich lightly, since the government seem to think 40% on income of £42k is reasonable. So it could be said the better off do get given a hard time in the taxation system as well.

Just my view from the bottom really.
  • RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    We receive in work benefits and due to each of our earnings pay shockingly little in tax - and this extra money we get from the government genuinely takes us out of what would be absolute poverty and gives us the ability to at least live a reasonable quality of life - we're not exactly wel off but can afford some luxuries and a chicken dinner each week.

Yet, despite our lack of contributions we also get free health care, which we've experienced over the last 12 months to be exceptional.
    Our household bills don't seem to have risen over the last few years, in fact over the last year it has fallen significantly (thanks to aldi and fuel prices).
    Our council have recently agreed to help us with our rent.

And it's thanks to our benefits system i'm on course to undertake an apprenticeship next year and will receive support to help with my even lower wage. Yet, just one month after I start i'll get a 60p p/h pay rise, come January we'll get 15 free hours child care, and this year my OH will pay less tax and see her wage increase thanks to NMW.

So we as a family are very appreciative of the system that is in place, despite the many criticisms.

I feel like the system in place is one that won't make me wealthy but does allows me opportunity.

Okay there are many short comings and what appear like injustices, particularly in the way they deal with apprentices that are over 24, in the way i've had to pay £000s for my current studies because we earned slightly more than the guy next to me who got a full remission. Of course there are many around me who are in two parent families who seem to have more money than me... so maybe there is an argument some areas of society receiving benefits are receiving too much.

But when I finally qualify in my chosen industry, and if I become successful with a good pay pack I won't begrudge paying in to the system but will expect to be frowned up on by the poorer whom see the rich through tinted glasses. Of course using the term rich lightly, since the government seem to think 40% on income of £42k is reasonable. So it could be said the better off do get given a hard time in the taxation system as well.

Just my view from the bottom really.

But you don't pay 40% on the first 42.
  • davestretty
    davestretty Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the real tax rates and bands which include National Insurance contributions as well as income tax, and also see how vat at 20% and council tax( both flat rate taxes i.e. not income dependent) influences the "real" rate of tax we pay. They will shock you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure