Cifas - can I get ANY credit?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Isn't CIFAS great! An effectively unregulated blacklist that can cause innocent people to be 100% financially shafted. I bet in itself it's a cause of fraud!

If no one committed application fraud National Hunter would be out of business. Lenders won't waste their money funding such as operation if it wasn't required.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Why as a nation do we tollorate all these blacklists that prevent people living normal lives, the financial sector seems to wield far too much power over us.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    If no one committed application fraud National Hunter would be out of business. Lenders won't waste their money funding such as operation if it wasn't required.

Application fraud. How does that happen? Take the current thread - a mortgage broker applied using incorrect income details. When I last applied for a mortgage, some 19 years ago, I had to prove my income, I think with a certificate from my employer. Seems to me there's something wrong with the application process here.

However, the really big problem is CIFAS. There's no easy way to correct wrongs within it. In fact, it seems like there NO way. Ultimately such systems do more harm than good.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If what you say is correct, and you used a mortgage broker was was acting unlawfully, i.e. unregulated, then you must have a case. Why not take it to the ombudsman?
  • Thrugelmir
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Application fraud. How does that happen? Take the current thread - a mortgage broker applied using incorrect income details.

Then the issue is with the mortgage broker not the lender. In terms of seeking recourse. Ultimately it's the individuals application form. They signed the declaration stating that the details submitted on the application were accurate to the best of their knowledge and belief.
  • Thrugelmir
    Why as a nation do we tollorate all these blacklists that prevent people living normal lives, the financial sector seems to wield far too much power over us.

Because not all people are honest. Many will happily lie to get what they want. Only a very small proportion fall foul of the rules.
  • dumpyboy
    dumpyboy Posts: 379 Forumite

The powers to be do not accept there are such things as blacklists and un to they do nothing will never change and the finacanal system will run out of controll
  • Chorley gets a mention here a someone who might lossoible lend to someone with a CIFAS marker. Does anyone know of any other?
  • Why as a nation do we tollorate all these blacklists that prevent people living normal lives, the financial sector seems to wield far too much power over us.

To stop people committing fraud?

It's like saying why do we allow people to have criminal records. I bet there's plenty of people with records that plead ignorance and that it was someone else's fault.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    What do you have to do wrong to get a Cifas marker that stops you getting any credit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure