🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I support my partner's employer or buy the cheapest?

Options
Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 11 February 2015 at 5:51PM in Marriage, relationships & families
My partner works in a small electrical store which prides itself on personal service. Even though she gets a staff discount, quite often it is possible to buy items cheaper elsewhere. My problem is that if I buy somewhere else then I could be contributing to her losing her job. Should I pay extra to help secure the shop or follow the MoneySaving mantra and buy cheaper elsewhere?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless you're buying big and buying regularly, your custom is unlikely to be the one thing that tips the store over the edge.

If you feel that strongly about it, let the boss know how much you can buy the item for elsewhere, and challenge them to price match. That way, they have a chance at capturing your custom, but the ball's in their court.
  • sinizterguy
    Options
    If the quality and service are worth the price, then buy it from there. Otherwise buy it from somewhere else.

You alone cannot prop up the business unless you are a buyer for a large company or something.

If they have a good business setup, they will succeed. If they do not, they will eventually fail.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Depends whether you want you want big corporations to take over the high street - or more likely the high street to be full of charity shops or shops to let.

I try and support my local shops as much as I can - its a case of use it or lose it
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My father- now 87- supported a local electrical retailer. They thoroughly fleeced him. He, as a pensioner, spent over the odds on a not very good fridge freezer, microwave and vacuum cleaner. There was no "special service" just mark up. They charged for delivery (so despite them being local he was worse off) and tried to sell inappropriate items which I took back.

If he now expresses an interest in an electrical appliance I buy it over the internet and have it delivered, I do not like doing this but need to protect him.

Either a retailer is customer aware and competitive ( by which I mean that the whole package of what they offer is good value) or they should go out of business and good riddance.

I suggest your partner starts looking elsewhere for a job with a better company.

Small, high street and local do not always mean better.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently one of the reasons our economy isn't doing as well as it could is because of "zombie companies" which should have gone bust but have been kept barely afloat by directors who refuse to call it a day. I'd suggest that they buy their item from wherever they please and the partner looks for a job in a more profitable outlet.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Local shops are great but why people would pay extra just to "support local stores" is amazing.
    Sorry but unless they are competitive, there's no point.

Surely that's what we're doing with banks, supermakrets, car insurance, mobile contracts.... we're all changing so they have to be competitive to get our custom.

Personally, the sooner we let go of the old "high street shops" the better. People want convenience more than a local high street, which is why out of town shopping centres and shopping malls are so popular.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Local shops are great but why people would pay extra just to "support local stores" is amazing.
    Sorry but unless they are competitive, there's no point.
    Supporting local businesses is not quite the same as having an eye for a bargain. Eg I prefer to use my local butcher rather than buy meat from Tesco because it is a better quality product and I can be more sure of its traceability (less chance of stray horsemeat). However electical goods are the same no matter what shop you go to and so it's silly to not go to the cheapest retailer.
  • nublue
    nublue Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I think I would naturally tend towards getting it cheaper elsewhere (though I'd feel a bit guilty) but at the end of the day I would listen to my partners opinion. If my partner who worked there felt it was important to support the business then I would do it for them. Friends and relatives are more important than shaving £20 off a purchase in my opinion.
  • Typo22
    Typo22 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I prefer to use my local butcher rather than buy meat from Tesco because it is a better quality product and I can be more sure of its traceability
    Quite agree!
    onlyroz wrote: »
    However electical goods are the same no matter what shop you go to and so it's silly to not go to the cheapest retailer.
    There we differ. I much prefer buying the not-cheapest from a (preferably local) retailer with a good reputation. There's usually not much difference in price, but there can be a huge difference in customer service if anything goes wrong.
    Ian
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I think the travel agency business is a good example.

Every town had travel agents both multiple and independent . The good ones would give good and personalised advice. You then made your choice which one you booked with. If anything went wrong you got good help in sorting problems out whether it was a weekend at Butlins or a far away holiday. You were also offered the product that suited you best as agencies sold a wide range of tour operators products.

Fast forward and the multiple travel agencies launched an aggressive campaign for market share, buying smaller chains and successful stand alone agencies and removing choice. Most smaller agencies didn't survive .
    Look in your high street today few have independents left.

Now agencies are nothing more than retail outlets for their own in house products. Walk into a Thomas Cook and you will be firmly steered towards their own products even if they have access to a more suitable or better priced product. Staff are disciplined if they sell too many non TC products.

People have moved to booking on the Internet because they find better and less biased advice online. Staff in agencies no longer have travelled to multiple destinations and you'll likely be served by a teenager who instead of offering advice will tell you to look in the brochure.

Some people are happy with this others would prefer to still have the more consultative style but that choice is all but gone.

The electrical goods business is following exactly the same path. Ultimately it leads to less choice for the consumer.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills