MSE News: MSE calls on the regulator to extend CPP reclaim deadline

Options
MoneySavingExpert.com is campaigning for the financial regulator to extend the deadline for the CPP redress scheme ...
Read the full story:

MSE calls on the regulator to extend CPP reclaim deadline

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• KingLaudrup
    Options
    People have had 6 months to make a claim, and there is an exceptional bar date for those who have been out of the country (negating the armed forces argument) - these people have an extra 6 months to claim.

Besides, if you throw away your post you always run the risk of losing important information. The moral of the story? Read you mail and then bin it - it takes seconds to open an envelope.

The FCA signed this off as fair treatment of customers - it'll be hard for the regulator to change the parameters of this scheme. It's a creature of the High Court and it went through a very intensive process in order to be sanctioned.
  • samdavva
    Options
    I have received the letter first one 31 Aug 2013, informing me of the claim form. This arrived Feb 2014 I filled it in and sent it off. I contacted CCP 17 July 2014 for an update to be informed they had not received my claim. I was sent another form which I have sent in and today I have contacted them for an update but the system crashed while I was on the phone. so still cannot get an update.
  • chris+gla
    Options
    I wish MSE would leave things alone so we all stop getting CPP calls!
    If you haven't claimed by now tough- you are in a very small minority. Why should the rest of us carry on suffering!
  • LDMurray
    Options
    I don't think you should be getting CPP calls chris+gla. These would be PPI companies and this is a totally different thing. CPP writes to you and you must send back the original form.
    I moved address and had no idea a letter came to me. I am on the electoral register but they're not going to cross check. Sent my form off three weeks ago and they're saying they haven't received it. They're sending another form but it'll never get to me in time. I hope the deadline is extended and I am pleased that MSE is pushing for this as I fear the nearer to the deadline we get, the slower the whole machine is going to go. The less cash they give back, the more they can keep. Not a good thing at all.
  • adversane
    Options
    I received two letters last year about the vote. Each had a separate reference number.

But no claim letter has arrived despite the fact that I open all junk mail just in case.

I've now asked for claim forms for each reference but what redress do I have for not having had the claim forms? That is assuming that I am unable to get them back before the deadline.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    adversane wrote: »
    what redress do I have for not having had the claim forms?
    None whatsoever.
  • CarolineW69
    Options
    I received a letter last advising of the vote. I never heard anything so called them in May and was told that they were still sending out claim forms. At this moment in time I was not told either way whether I would be eligible for a claim. It's only when I went through paperwork this week that I found my letter from last year. When I called them they said a claim form was sent. When I said I hadn't received anything from them they said it was too late to claim. How is that fair. I didn't know I was eligible and now I'm told I am but it's too late. Totally unfair!
  • Felim_Doyle
    Options
    I'm just curious as to why such a relatively short deadline was set for claiming CPP refunds in comparison to mis-sold PPI policies which, as I understand it, are still open to claim.

I know that a lot of people considered the communications from CPP to be junk mail and, given the volume of official looking unsolicited mail that we get these days, it is understandable why many may have ignored them.

In addition, some people have reported sending in claims but not receiving a response and CPP not having a record of their claim when they have enquired by telephone. It should not be that difficult or require that much involvement from customers to make a claim.

If there have been procedural problems with claiming for an issue that should never have arisen in the first place then the deadline should be extended and guarantees made that CPP have the resources to process claims.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm just curious as to why such a relatively short deadline was set for claiming CPP refunds in comparison to mis-sold PPI policies which, as I understand it, are still open to claim.
    The CPP scheme which only covered the period post 2005 was decided by a vote and everyone affected was written to at least twice.

PPI policies are totally separate and irrelevant.
    If there have been procedural problems with claiming for an issue that should never have arisen in the first place then the deadline should be extended and guarantees made that CPP have the resources to process claims.
    More than a month on from the closure of the scheme, it's a bit late to be calling for an extension of it.
  • jemima571
    Options
    I sent off two forms for two separate claims, in the freepost envelopes, but decided to pay for recorded delivery as I didn't want to risk the items getting lost in the post. I received one cheque ok and thought the other one may be taking longer (as it said it could take up to 8 weeks to process), so I held on and finally phoned them to find out that they haven't received the second form and now the cut off date has passed my only option is to claim from Royal Mail!!!!

If you've ever tried claiming from Royal Mail you will understand my consternation, I have to provide proof of postage which I have, as well as proof of value of the item I posted. But as 2nd class postage only covers up to £50 I won't get the full amount back from anyone - why should the CPP and the banks keep our money, haven't they taken enough of the hard working tax payers money as it is - I don't think there should be a cut off date at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure