PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I take my garden plants to my new home?

Options
Former_MSE_Darryl
Former_MSE_Darryl Posts: 210 Forumite
edited 24 June 2014 at 4:07PM in House buying, renting & selling
Here's this week's situation for you to cogitate on:
Should I take my garden plants to my new home?

I've built up a collection of plants over the years I've lived in my current home, some costing £7, £8, £9. I'm considering moving to one with no plants at all in the back garden. Is it stingy to dig all my plants up and take them with me?
Click 'reply' to have your say

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Heck yes, as long as you have been clear to tell the buyer that you will be taking them then it's fair cop.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • haggisneepsandtatties
    Options
    We are moving house next week and we have dug up all our plants to take with us. I have invested too much money and time on my garden to want to leave them!
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No brainer, of course you can take them, they're your plants. I'd draw the line at stripping the turf, though ;)
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 24 June 2014 at 8:27PM
    Options
    nope .Not unless they are in pots .Whats in the ground stays ,plants ,dead pets or mother in laws ,if they are planted they stay
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless agreed otherwise you are selling the property with fixtures and fittings.

A rough guide to that is to imagine turning the property (and garden) upside down. Those things which fall out, you take:

freestanding fridge, cooker etc
    loose rugs
    plants in pots
    etc

Those things which don't fall, you should leave

built in cooker
    fitted carpets
    garden plants in beds
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2014 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Absolutely -- my entire garden was lovingly grown from a mud patch into a real garden, mostly from painstakingly collected cuttings and handreared seedlings in the greenhouse. There is emotional attachment there :p

Obviously this would be clear from the start, happy to "make good" the garden with turf ... or accept a cash offer for the plants so I can start again. The obvious exception being if I was moving into a pre-established mature garden. But I'd still take the roses as each one has a strong emotional value to me.

I am in my 30s. Some of the plants in my garden came over from France with me 10 years ago. I grew them there in the garden, I kept them in pots and re-planted now I have a garden again. No way I would leave them behind now!
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pretty outrageous thing to do.

Did you tell your buyers before they offered that you would be doing this? If not, I would consider it fraud.

Why not do the decent thing and take some cuttings?
  • verulamium
    verulamium Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Unless agreed already, that's rather unfair to the buyer. The garden (and by extension the plants) is part of the property. Anything that is planted should stay. Those in pots can go.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems a bit of a pointless thing to do as many plants won't survive being dug up and moved, especially at this time of year. Why not just take cuttings?
  • going_nowhere_fast
    Options
    Well i intend on taking mine but they are all in pots. I wouldnt dig a garden up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure