Windscreen Chip - Why is Repair Free?

Options

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See this is where I get a little confused.
    THIS USER says it will count as a claim, which I am not so sure about.
    I appreciate each company is different but if it's going to count as a claim, you may as well get a replacement, which isn't ideal for all parties involved.
    It is a claim, and as such would have to be declared if you're asked about claims, unless the question about claims said "other than windscreen claims" or similar.

However not all claims are equal. It would not be a claim which affected your no claims discount (with most insurers at least) and declaring a single windscreen claim would generally have no effect, or almost no effect, on your premium. An unusually large number of windscreen claims might have an effect, or it might mean that insurers didn't offer you windscreen cover.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    dear God. Why are some people so dim. NCD/NCB is completely different to whether it counts as a claim or not.

You can have a claim every year for the last 5 years and still have 10 years no claims discount.

NCD is typically given for not having any at fault claims for the specified years.

Windowsscreen chip repairs is generally not considered at fault and does not affect your NCD but it needs to be disclosed as a claim just like you would diclose a non-fault accident.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And non fault accidents still affect your premium.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was checking at renewal time a windscreen claim added about £1 to most quotes.
  • Glassman
    Glassman Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interesting subject, and a contentious issue.

First and foremost, a distinction must be made: do not confuse losing your NCB/NCD with loading the premium on renewal. You can still get charged more on renewal because of a windscreen claim even if your NCB is intact. Plus you may be obliged to declare the claim to prospective insurers for the next five years.

Swift Cover (AXA) for example, will suspend NCD for 12 months following a windscreen claim. If there is no connection between the two types of claim, you have to ask yourself why this 'restriction' following a windscreen claim would be imposed on NCD!

It is also my understanding that any insurance activity - no matter how insignificant it may be - gets recorded on the Claims & Underwriters Exchange database (CUE). If you were to call your insurer and enquire about something (even if it is just for information purposes) it will leave a footprint on your file.

Going back to the original question, "Windscreen Chip - Why is Repair Free?" This can be answered twofold: i) it's not free - the insurer will be paying, and ii) many policies require the insured to make a contribution towards the claim (excess). For example, many Aviva policies carry a £10.00 excess for chip repairs; Admiral: £25.00 and Hastings is £60.00 whether the windscreen is repaired or replaced!

As a few have already stated, the cost of repairing a windscreen is significantly cheaper than replacing it, and historically the 'free' repair was an incentive designed to save both parties money.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2014 at 10:20PM
    Options
    My no claims has never been affected by a windscreen claim.

And i have never seen a premium increase either.

But as it is recorded as a claim then i suspect it is reasonable that they taks it into consideration.

Losing no claims is likely to add more to a premium than a record of a windscreen replacement.

And with bonded screens forming part of the structure of the vehicle it is understandable that replacement is a priority.

Have claimed for a windscreen in a mk2 Mondeo and being heated was a pretty penny

Also claimed for windscreen in an 04 Legacy. As it was so new at the time, it was first of the new shape, the only part was a Subaru part at nearly £900!

I have picked up a small crack on my current car, 61 plate XJ, god knows how much that will cost.
  • Glassman
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »

bonded screens form part of the structure of the vehicle

A correctly bonded windscreen will add *some* stiffness to the front of the car, and given how many screens are not fitted properly, I would say it goes unnoticed.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/see-the-windscreen-as-the-last-line-of-defence/
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dear God. Why are some people so dim. NCD/NCB is completely different to whether it counts as a claim or not.
    I don't see where you are getting them mixed up. I am well aware of the differences but I have had insurers suggest that if I claim (whether at fault or not), it will wipe out the NCB for that year. If it's the first year then you're back at ZERO again.
    Herzlos makes the point in one sentence. I'm still waiting for two other non-fault claims to clear so I can get my insurance down by £100. I'd rather not muddy the waters further with a claim for a tiny chip I have, which is probably too small for them to fix anyway!
  • Glassman
    Options
    I'd rather not muddy the waters further with a claim for a tiny chip I have, which is probably too small for them to fix anyway!

No chip is too small for repair. Even the damage is on the surface, a cosmetic repair can still be carried out. But if you listen to the adverts, be prepared for surprises, such as this one.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glassman wrote: »
    Interesting subject, and a contentious issue.

First and foremost, a distinction must be made: do not confuse losing your NCB/NCD with loading the premium on renewal. You can still get charged more on renewal because of a windscreen claim even if your NCB is intact. Plus you may be obliged to declare the claim to prospective insurers for the next five years.

Correct, and I found that although my insurer had stated it would not affect no claims bonus they did want to add a loading to the renewal

I complained, on the basis that if they'd told me this clearly I would not have claimed, whereas it now looked like getting the crack repaired via the insurance would cost me more spread over 3 years than if I'd had it fixed myself

They discounted the premium.

Some sample quotes with other insurers added no loading though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure