The Great 'Hidden Worldwide Hostel Gems' Hunt

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
The Great 'Hidden Worldwide Hostel Gems' Hunt

Don’t think dodgy smelly dorms – some hostels are historic mansions such as Ilam Hall in Derbyshire. Most are clean, have private rooms available and breakfast.

If you're a hostel fan, we'd love to know your hidden Worldwide hostel gems. Where did you stay, what did you like about it and roughly how much did it cost? Here are a few from Facebook to start with:

“YMCA West 63rd Street, New York. Excellent value, across from central park.” Watson

“Augerge de Jeunesse (YHA) in Calais is a brilliant cheap stop-off point - 24hr desk, pool table and bar, plus free breakfast with fresh crepes!” Howard

“Two of the best hostels in the World: YHA The Rocks, Sydney Australia (for the location) & Hopewell Lodge in New Zealand for the location, friendly hosts Mike & Linley, free mussel nights, great accommodation & just the most beautiful location in the world!” Sheree

For Blighty, see the Great 'UK Hostel Gems' Hunt.

Click reply below to share your faves. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Bluesy23
    Bluesy23 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Cloud 9 Hostel, Lagos, Portugal

Lovely and clean, really friendly staff, great for young people and dirt cheap! I go mos years!
    :rotfl:Started Comping June 2013 :rotfl:
    June wins
    : :D Pearl Drops toothpaste
    July wins: :D Numerous Beefeater vouchers! - Bottle of Absolut Unique - £100
    Aug wins: :DArniston Bay Wine + Hammock
  • ses99
    ses99 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Sydney Harbour in The Rocks. I reckon this is the poshest hostel in the world.
  • treddlie
    treddlie Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Kaeo Farm Hostel in the far north of the North Island in New Zealand

https://www.kahoefarms.co.nz

International football matches/ quiz nights/ board games are just some of the out of the ordinary activities hosted by Lindsey and Stefano

I visited first in 1996 and go back when I can

PS the country is pretty cool too

:j
  • juicylucym
    juicylucym Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    pure luxury....yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/blue-mountains/katoomba/
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Feetup Hotel in Barcelona (and Valencia but I haven't stayed there) is fab - if you're travelling alone, the top floor single room opens out onto the roof garden and it's so tranquil. It's up near Mount Tibidabo (always makes me think of Joey Tribbiani...) so quite far out of the city but still on a Metro line, so it allows you the peace of being outside of the city with the convenience of being close enough to get to the Ramblas in a few minutes!

http://www.feetuphostels.com/hostels-barcelona/garden-house-hostel.html

It's around 25 Euros a night for the single room, cheaper if you're sharing.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • Squirrel1974
    Options
    Ashante Lodge in Cape Town, South Africa, great place for meeting people, right off the main street for bars and food. Beautiful view of Table Mountain from the bar, decking area and even the toilet, Very lively atmosphere with a wide range of people. Amazingly helpful staff on hand to advise you with tours etc.Safe and secure dorms or single,double rooms with lockable storage. Definitely a must go if you are ever in the country. I've been a couple of time and can't wait to go back.
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    The Skyewalker on Skye - really lovely spot with great hosts and a nice chilled vibe.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • Mona_Lisa_2
    Options
    Crocodyllus in Far North Queensland, without a doubt. In the rainforest, not far from the Great Barrier Reef. the hostel is made up of dorms, with canvas 'tents' built onto platforms on stilts, above the forest floor. Generator goes off at night and its pitch black! All the better to see the stars! ( and the eyes of the animals in the forest!) Our children absolutely loved it, and so did we.
  • Mona_Lisa_2
    Options
    KiriKiri in far north New Zealand too. Very relaxed and laid back. Gorgeous location. However, didn't enjoy the other guests at Rotorua - mad, drunk backpackers partying all through the night.
  • bibbi1264
    Options
    The Friary in Beverley Yorkshire some rooms even ensuite.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure