The Great 'What do you regret skimping on?' Hunt Revisited

Options

Comments

• jaybizzl
    Options
    Paint - you'll spend longer getting a good finish and have to repaint sooner

Decking boards - its a lot of work, I'd prefer to do that once in 10 years rather than twice!

Agree with the bin bags whole heartedly
  • Rosebud24
    Options
    Eggs from caged hens. I bought some once whilst on a tight budget but didn't enjoy them as a) they were almost tasteless and b) I kept thinking about the poor hens in their cages! I decided I'd rather go without than buy them again, but now always think it's worth the bit extra to get tastier eggs from happier hens. (Or even better, find some fresh from a farm/small holding where they're usually cheaper - resisting the urge to write 'cheeper' - too).
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    For sons, School shirts - I bought some that just looked so thin.
    Happily (a) robustly smart collar & rest largely hidden by school top & (b) now long outgrown, but I'll not go for the cheapest as a default option for school shirts again.

For me, cheap boots. I wore a hole in the sole within 3 months, happily the shop was very understanding, accepting I'd not realised these were "dog walking" boots, & steering me towards their sale rack in the company of their top fitter.
  • IDProtected
    Options
    A dress for a friend's wedding. Seriously broke at the time and decided to buy a cheap dress so that I could also have new shoes. The new shoes do not show in the photographs but the image of me in that ugly, poorly cut dress will live on forever ..........
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • Dolly_DD
    Options
    A cheap hoover. The engine kept cutting out after 10 minutes of use. The noozle kept breaking. A good one in the sale was a much better buy!
  • julie777
    Options
    jaybizzl wrote: »
    Paint - you'll spend longer getting a good finish and have to repaint sooner

Bought a huge tub of Asda magnolia emulsioin for £5 or something ridiculous. Every time I wipe it some comes off! Too too cheap! But I can't waste it now so will just have to keep doing areas.
  • clairetelche1
    Options
    Cheap cling film - clings to !!!!!! all

Cheap bin bags - pointless

Cheap pop - yack

Cheap socks - OHs Gran used to buy him M&S socks. When she died he bought cheap ones - holey within a couple of wears!

Cheap chicken (frozen stuff) fine for curries etc but for a cooked chicken breast - horrid! I've just ordered a delivery from my local butcher - excellent reviews and massively cheaper than ASDA.
  • zeeksquirrel
    Options
    The lowest quote for re-roofing and plumbing when we first bought our house.
    The roofer tiled the roof wrongly, by the time we realised he had disappeared. Although roof didn't leak it was going to adversely affect the property's value, and had the potential to blow off because edging clips hadn't been installed. We ended up having the whole thing re-done.
    The plumbing likewise was a dog's dinner and has been pretty much replaced over the years.
    Lesson-a good tradesman who you trust is worth his weight in gold even if he is expensive.
  • redfragglebiker
    Options
    Bin Bags, bog roll, kitchen roll and bread! As other posters here have said the cheap bin bags hold nothing at all before breaking! I find cheap bogroll fells horrible so I have decided to love my bum and buy some nice quilted stuff. Cheap kitchen roll absorbs NOTHING and falls apart and I cannot stand the carboardy tasteless texture of cheap bread!

Also we don't drink much fizzy pop but when we do I'm okay with cheapo lemonade but not cheap cola!

We do use the value cat litter though and we've found it be be fine in terms of odour and absorbancy. I know another poster had claimed they had no luck with it but out cats do have those hooded enclosed litter boxes so that might be why we've hot had any odour issues as they have carbon filters in the lid to help stop odour escaping
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!? :huh:
  • sugargurlie
    Options
    Cheap shoes and cheap bras!

Also agree with the binbags. I find Costco's bags good value for money. I can get from my kitchen in my flat and right down the backdoor without them breaking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure