The Great 'What do you regret skimping on?' Hunt Revisited

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 18 February 2014 at 4:23PM in MoneySaving polls
The Great ' What do you regret skimping on?' Hunt

We're all for keeping costs down where possible here at MSE, but some things really are worth paying more for (a hostel with hot water and a decent haircut are just a couple that spring to mind). We want to know what you've skimped on in the past, then wished you hadn't.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• iscamaid
    iscamaid Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, this may seem petty things but my husband I have a running debate over cheap bin bags and tin foil. I love saving money and buy as cheap as I can if possible, however cheap bin bags drive me nuts. The ones you get from Aldi etc are virtually transparent and tear before you even put a tin can in. I would rather pay more and not have the stress of the dratted things falling apart all over the kitchen floor!
  • benedictadams
    Options
    Found Boots Value mouthwash to be so bad that I could only use it once. Now wait for the branded ones to appear in the discount shops or the half price offers in the supermarket/ chemists.

My cat doesn't like some of the value dry foods but luckily will eat the £1ish a kilo Supermarket own brands.
    Debt of £6300 cleared in 5 years, now ZERO
  • lemony_7
    lemony_7 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    iscamaid wrote: »
    Ok, this may seem petty things but my husband I have a running debate over cheap bin bags and tin foil. I love saving money and buy as cheap as I can if possible, however cheap bin bags drive me nuts. The ones you get from Aldi etc are virtually transparent and tear before you even put a tin can in. I would rather pay more and not have the stress of the dratted things falling apart all over the kitchen floor!

Same here! We HATE cheap crappy bin bags.
  • JodyBPM
    JodyBPM Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Value cat litter that didn't absorb odours very well. I now use Golden Grey from Zooplus, which costs about £10 a bag, but lasts for ages with no smells. Much better value.

Value deodorant that didn't last a full working day before me starting to get damp and whiffy. Would definitely never buy again.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As a student I chose to buy a [STRIKE]plastic[/STRIKE] faux-leather handbag so I could afford a novelty t-shirt as well. Bad move!

The bag looked tacky in no time and I barely wore the t-shirt. Should have spent the £4.99 on a leather bag - well, it was 1976!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Value sausages (that collapse when you cut into them - all pappy)
    Cheap shoes - because they fall apart too quickly.

Value toothpaste - that doesn't keep your breathe fresh for more than 15 minutes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Avoiding going to the dentist/doctor/optician because I was skint, has cost me alot more in the end, and not just financially.

p.s. I have a fantastic NHS dentist who is doing his best and keeps the cost as low as possible
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • plzhelpmesave!
    Options
    Black bags
    Toilet roll and kitchen rolls!!
  • hrbrox
    Options
    Not an everyday one but theatre tickets. Bought the cheapest tickets available (~£30) arrived at the theatre and had to walk up a million stairs to find my seat was so high up I was getting dizzy trying to focus on the play so far below me (Wyndham's theatre in London if anyone knows it, has really steep seating) Afterwards I wished I'd forked out the extra £20 or so to be sat halfway down.

Also Milk, became a skint student last year and first solo shop bought the cheapest milk they had, tasted so watery I now call that my one luxury (branded) purchase and always buy cravendale.
  • whizzybee
    Options
    So glad that there are what seem like small things but make all the difference! For me it was 'spread' and orange juice. I am partial to a glass of orange juice a day but it has to be fresh. During my student days i scrimped and bought concentrate and that stuff is disgusting! Same goes for spread, Ive tried varying spreads - buying in bulk as they were about to pass their BB dates (hence the buying in bulk, I dont really believe in them!) and after 6 months, went back to butter. That was seven years ago and Ive never looked back lol! Has to be a good butter every time.

Have to agree over bin bags as well, although we tend to reuse carrier bags. My housemate has a ridiculous stash of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure