Blockbuster "debt" being chased by Oriel

Options
Dear All

New to this forum, so bear with me! I was a customer of our local Blockbuster for about two and a half years and we probably used them ten or fifteen times in that space. It was about 50 yards from our front door, so convenient for returning things!

They were closed down as you know and taken over my Oriel the administration firm and yesterday, out of nowhere, I received a text from Oriel saying "we have been attempting to contact you due to the outstanding balance due to Blockbuster. Please make payment by calling 0843 515 8789 or by visiting Blockbuster.mysecuregateway.co.uk. Please use reference number xxxx"

They sent me the same text today and I have had no previous communication via any method about this. I lived in the same address with the same phone number and email address for the entire duration of my custom and I did not have any late returns outstanding.

I attempted to call the number and speak to someone but it tells me the mailbox is full and then says that the offices are closed and only open 8-8 (and I'm always calling within those hours). I have also visited Oriel's website and emailed them yesterday but no response.

I went to the website earlier and using the reference they gave me, the debt is a massive £1.60! I could easily just get it paid but I'l loathe to have a payment to a debt collector on my account for a debt I have no knowledge of. Equally, I don't want to leave it and have it affecting my credit rating (which it might have done already, for all I know).

Anybody have any advise or recommendations?

Comments

• Sleepylemon
    Options
    Hi, I received the same text this morning & as far as I'm aware I don't owe anything! It's so frustrating. What is the website you went to in order to find out what you owe 😀
  • Sleepylemon
    Options
    Never mind I'm an idiot it was in the txt lol. Yeah it says I owe a massive £5.10! I'm the same I could easily clear it bit I know I don't owe it!. I would like proof of what the say I owe it for before I pay.
  • Mikebabs1
    Options
    My wife received exactly the same text yesterday and it says we also owe £1.60. No other contact has been made, despite them claiming they have, and we had no outstanding balance.

On the face of it, it seems like a scam, but Oriel are seemingly a reputable debt collector and have been instructed on behalf of Blockbuster from what i can find online. I think this must be an administrative error that's generated a text out to all (or a selection of) ex-members. I can't believe that they can rely on a text as a way of re-claiming debt, as people may have changed numbers. I found another post on another forum about this, and there were several replies from knowledgable people stating that the debt collector has to provide documented evidence of the money that is owed and why, before they can force you to pay.

The amount is so small it seems silly worrying about it, but (a) it's the principle, and (b) i don't want to be entering my personal and payment details into a debt collectors website.

I think we'll just ignore it and see what happens.
  • spoonieAB3
    Options
    Thanks guys, good to see it wasn't just me, but frustrating that this is a company who seem to be pretty hard to get hold of. The phoneline said that to dispute the debt, you need to write to them which will probably be my next move.
  • bj840
    Options
    Have had the same text as mentioned. Rang Oriel and spoke to a guy who was a little aggressive.

He asked me for my mobile number and name which I gave and then asked me further questions for "security purposes" I simply refused and he got really stroppy stating that he would terminate my call.

I asked why he needed further info when I was calling him! He did not reply. I also asked him to confirm that our telephone conversation was being recorded "for training and quality training purposes"

I have asked Oriel for written evidence of my supposed debt to blockbuster. IF they provide this I will post here and update this forum.

BJ840
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Very bizarre thread, all newbies joining today and posting in entirely the wrong section?
  • spoonieAB3
    Options
    Probably all newbies joining today because we all received the text in the last couple of days. Quick google search and it brings you here.

Which section should this have been posted in, for future reference?
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spoonieAB3 wrote: »
    Probably all newbies joining today because we all received the text in the last couple of days. Quick google search and it brings you here.

Which section should this have been posted in, for future reference?

Praise, vent and warnings. A board guide should move it soon enough though x
  • dbramley
    Options
    I've had a couple of emails and texts from them. I do owe them money though (£4) and the text confirms the amount. I do therefore think it's legitimate. It is a late fee I owe for.

I just plan on ignoring them though ;)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spoonieAB3 wrote: »
    Anybody have any advise or recommendations?

Posting in a more appropriate forum would maybe be a good start - I'm at a complete loss to understand what this has to do with UK Holidays?

Debt, Consumer Rights, or Praise Vent and Warnings all seem far more suitable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure