Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 2nd Oct 07, 8:56 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Give yourself a money makeover and save 1,000s Article Discussion
    • 2nd Oct 07, 8:56 PM
    Give yourself a money makeover and save 1,000s Article Discussion 2nd Oct 07 at 8:56 PM

This thread relates to the article

Give yourself a Money Makeover: How to completely overhaul your finances & save 1,000s

Click reply to discuss or Report Your Big Savings

Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 3:40 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • nellynerd
    • 3rd Oct 07, 3:24 PM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 3:24 PM
    Martin - you are psychic! While you've been putting this together, I've been going through my finances, done a proper budget and managed to save just over £800!! This annual saving is comprised of:
    Changing gas and electricity supplier - £260
    Changing car insurance (helped by the fact that it's now over 3 years since I had a 'my fault' prang) - £240
    Changing Broadband/TV/Phone/Mobile supplier - £300

I'm pretty tight (for example, I never take renewal offers without checking other suppliers first) but I'm still shocked. It's certainly worth the effort!

It's not all been about saving money. I've spent some as well as I now have the means to help protect my family - like taking out life insurance and making sure that my self-employed husband pays into his pension.

And what did I use to help me? The guides on moneysavingexpert.com

Cheers Martin. I owe you a pint!
  • newforestmum
    • 5th Dec 07, 12:43 PM
    • 5th Dec 07, 12:43 PM
    I have just started working my way through the money makeover list. I did the electric and gas first and by changing companies I will save approx 350 this year plus I will be getting 30 cash back for swapping companies.

Tonight I am planning on looking at the next way to save some money but made a good start so far

Lisa
  • ian turvey
    • 29th Dec 07, 12:03 PM
    A free call to Barclaycard gets me cashback!
    • 29th Dec 07, 12:03 PM
    I've just completed the money makeover. I was very interested in the cash back credit cards, and somewhat surprised to see Barclaycard (my current provider) not offering anything. I rang them and asked how they could help, and they couldnt, so i asked to speak to retentions, as i was going to cancel my card. Retentions asked me why, i explained,m and they immediately offered me uncapped 2% a month for 3 months to stay! I spend about #1500 a month on the card, so i am #90 better off for a phone call!
    Ian
  • tootsmcboots
    • 10th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    money makeover
    • 10th Mar 08, 12:26 PM
    I have completed a money makeover and without too much effort have saved 4750 per year.
    • katsu
    • By katsu 22nd Oct 09, 10:21 PM
    • 4,373 Posts
    • 13,697 Thanks
    katsu
    • 22nd Oct 09, 10:21 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 10:21 PM
    I'm working on the tips and so far:

*am switching my utilities (never done this before) saving according to comparison site 208 per annum! Plus MSE 30 cashback (if it comes). It was unbelieveably easy.
    *used MSE article to get Autoaid breakdown cover for both of us for 37 (cost of AA around 192 iirc so saving over 150 per annum).
    *using Rebtel for international calls will save over 50 per month if it all works out (saving around 600 per annum).
    *paid off some debt with savings (saving interest on debt - too hard to work out reducing interest payment savings).
    *made a balance transfer from OH credit card to mine, with 0% for 6mths and a small BT fee will be able to complete payments 1 month earlier and inside interest free period.
    Last edited by katsu; 22-10-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: missed an MSE action off!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin