PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'Cheap cooking substitutes' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 3 January 2014 at 2:13PM in Old style MoneySaving
Great 'Cheap cooking substitutes' Hunt

It's all very well for celebrity chefs to add expensive ingredients into their recipes, but sometimes it's necessary to use cheaper alternatives instead. What alternatives do you use and do you find they affect the end result?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts and check out our Supermarket Shopping Tips guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• usernamealreadytaken
    Options
    I got some vanilla pods from Amazon for a fraction of the price you see in the shops. I have never bought the really expensive ones so can't compare them, but the ones I bought are nice smelling, come with instructions on how to keep them fresh for longer, and taste nice in my cooking. I've used them to make vanilla sugar for my baking, and have made about 3kg so far with the same two pods; they are still adding a nice flavour and still smell gorgeous. The seller is still advertising various different offers on Amazon, trading as Vanillamart.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Still on a vanilla theme, try freezing this:

049925.jpg?v=2

It costs £1, but a spoonful of this is a million times better than a tub of Haagen Dazs. So would serve very many people alongside any dessert.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    Great 'Cheap cooking substitutes' Hunt

It's all very well for celebrity chefs to add expensive ingredients into their recipes, but sometimes it's necessary to use cheaper alternatives instead. What alternatives do you use and do you find they affect the end result?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
    I use a lot of substitutes in recipes.
    I swap molasses for brown sugar,
    Sour cream for home made yoghurt
    Saffron for turmeric in rice dishes
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another vote for Vanillamart. (Mental note to make some more home-made vanilla ice cream.)

I've just found out that you can make soured cream (for Stroganoffs, etc.) by adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to 75ml of single or double cream.
    Add ½ a teaspoon at first, taste it and then add the other ½ a teaspoon, if necessary.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • asparagus1968
    Options
    in homemade hummus I use a tablespoon of peanut butter instead of tahini paste, which is expensive and comes in big jars that I'd never use before it goes off.
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• superrhinos
    Options
    Brown sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce in Shepherds pie etc.
    GC: Feb (16th Jan - 15th Feb) £46.25 / £50 :)
    Mar (16th Feb - 15th Mar) £61.96 / £70
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    & Soworried: "Saffron for turmeric in rice dishes"

I do hope that was a mistake, and you are not actually substituting the world's most expensive spice for nasty, cheap turmeric.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    bogwart wrote: »
    & Soworried: "Saffron for turmeric in rice dishes"

I do hope that was a mistake, and you are not actually substituting the world's most expensive spice for nasty, cheap turmeric.

:rotfl: No mistake, expensive means nothing to me or my health. Turmeric is one of the healthiest spices you can have. The crocin levels in saffron are cheap in comparison.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • debbiesmum
    Options
    I used to bake a lot - not so much now it's just the two of us. I always used supermarket own brand marg instead of butter. Perfectly acceptable in everything I made.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    debbiesmum wrote: »
    I used to bake a lot - not so much now it's just the two of us. I always used supermarket own brand marg instead of butter. Perfectly acceptable in everything I made.
    For years I thought vegetable oil based spreads were healthy vs butter, but the evidence has done a complete 180. Now I use a knob butter in everything I cook (not that I cook a great deal), to make it taste better. Failing that I use a spoonful of cream :D.

Love the tip about the peanut butter / hummus - does it not taste very peanut-y, though? Might have a go at crushing a small quantity of toasted cashews and sesame seeds down with a little olive oil instead.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport