We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wrapping Presents for Children

Options
Having seen over the years masses of expensive wrapping paper totally disregarded by the children/grandchildren when excitedly getting at their presents we have decided this year to wrap them in newspaper. This sort of appearance
gift-packages_300.jpg
The kids won't care at all and it can then be recycled with no problem.
Forgotten but not gone.

Comments

• the_why_bird
    Options
    Those look lovely!

I wanted to do this a couple of years ago but struggled to find bits of the paper that didn't have unpleasant headlines or stupid ads on them. I might've had more success if I bought a paper with a big Sunday supplement on gardening or travel, but it seemed to defeat the object to buy papers we don't normally get just to wrap!

We ended up using brown parcel paper and ribbons, came out lovely.
  • CookingJanet
    Options
    We've used brown paper in the past and made christmas themed paint stamps for the kids to decorate them with.

They looked great & it kept them busy for a few hours!
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ooh thats a lovely idea if you have decent pages from a half decent paper.
    I have found about 3 unopened rolls upstairs which don't match the tree colour scheme (which used to bother me!) But will be used.
    Squirrelling away in September No 33
    It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    They look nice. I find weekend supplements work well, along with favourite comics and mags. I have also bought (graphic novel) books from the second hand book shop in the past to cut up for small gifts.

A few years ago DD1 and I made some fabric reusable bags in a variety of sizes using red and white fabrics. We have an assortment of checks/gingham, spotty and stripes, which when tied with white ribbon look lovely together.

We did the same in more everyday fabric. I was sick of the environmental impact.
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks lovely when it's wrapped that neat... The only problem with newspaper - it leaves a lot of pain (print paint which is not healthy) on the hands and with kids all these paint eventually ends up - you guessed it right - in the mouth... :( Just have to watch them crarefully.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My Aunt pressganged my lads (young teen & under) into carving lumps of turnip so the (much younger & not at all safe with knives)grandchildren could make "potato prints", which she then used as Christmas Wrap.
    Three lots of folk all amused & interested....
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you have anything large and misshaped Aldi and the Poundshop have pudding and Santa bin bags in.

They are idea as wrapping sacks.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year I made 2 designs of Christmas wrapping quite simply in Microsoft Word, just by finding a suitable picture, shrinking it down to under an inch, and using it to tile an entire A3 sheet. I did one design of a scantily clad lady in a Santa costume for the guys, and one of a scantily clad hunk in a Santa costume for the girls.

I've got access to an A3 printer. I printed a few copies of each, both in colour and in black and white. Bam, 4 different designs of wrapping paper. Cost me next to nothing, took about an hour at the most, but felt extremely high quality, didn't need extra ribbons etc. and showed that some effort had gone into my wrapping for a change.

Nothing to stop someone doing more than two designs, and then just using one roll of shop-bought paper to wrap anything that can't be wrapped by a single A3 sheet (a minority of my presents anyway).
  • spiderlin
    Options
    I often use cooking foil not only at Christmas but for birthdays etc too. You can get different textures by screwing it up then smoothing it out before wrapping. To finish the gift off use florists' ribbon, which can be bought cheaply in many colours (£3 for 80/100 metres) on the internet and this can be split and curled easily.
  • ellie-g
    Options
    I have found a use for those irritating ribbons that always pop out from the neckline of clothes. I dont use them for hanging the clothes instead I simply cut them off and use for present decoration. Cost = free!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport