IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Another GPEOL loss for PE (post #24):-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=78341&st=20
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • trisontana
    Options
    Two more successful appeals being reported on PPP. One against PE and the other against UKCPS. In both cases the PPC could not produce a valid contract.
  • BillyTheSquid
    Options
    Another loss for Parking Eye LOL:

Fistral Beach, Newquay. Car parked late at night (in the dark where you can't read any of their signage so wasn't aware of any parking charges etc) back in July this year for 40 mins to watch the waves crashing against the beach (from within the car itself!).

Got PCN first day back after hols. Discovered this website and thanks to all who helped (via photographic evidence of signage etc) both on the site and friends of friends via Facebook, put together appeal.

Appeal arguments were
    "The driver is not liable for the parking charge and the vehicle was not improperly parked"
    Reasons:
    1) Insufficient signage (not illuminated at night)
    2) No sufficiently clear mention of ANPR usage on signage
    3) Disproportionate parking charge doesn't reflect genuine loss

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    At XX:XX on XX July 2013, a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXX was recorded on Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) with Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) entering the Fistral Beach car park, Cornwall. At XX:XX on XX July 2013, the same vehicle was recorded on CCTV exiting the Fistral Beach car park, Cornwall. This car park is a paid parking car park. The appellant does not dispute he did not pay for parking.
    It is the operator’s case that a parking charge notice was correctly issued
    because the terms and conditions for parking in the Fistral Beach car park are
    clearly displayed on signs at the entrance to the car park and throughout the
    car park. A copy of the terms and conditions has been produced. The signs
    state ‘Fistral Beach Car Park: This is a Paid Parking Car Park. Parking tariffs
    apply 7 days a week’. The sign also warns ‘Failure to comply with the terms & conditions will result in a Parking Charge of £100’. The operator submits that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed terms of parking.

It is the appellant’s case that the parking charge issued is disproportionate to
    the loss caused to the landowner by the appellant’s parking contravention.
    The appellant further submits that when he entered the Fistral Beach car park
    on the night of XX July 2013, he was unaware of the erected parking signage
    because it was dark and the signs were not illuminated by lights.
    The operator is seeking to rely on an agreement between itself and the
    appellant that the appellant would either pay a tariff for parking in the Fistral
    Beach car park, or otherwise face liability for a parking charge. For such a
    term to be included in the agreement, it must be ‘incorporated’ into the
    agreement. The only relevant method of incorporation, in this case, is by
    notice. This means that the appellant must have been made aware of the
    term, before the agreement was made, in order for it to be deemed part of
    the agreement. The appellant will be deemed to have been made aware of
    the term if the operator had taken reasonable steps to bring the term to the
    appellant’s attention. The usual method by which an operator takes
    ‘reasonable steps’ is by displaying clear signs around the site advertising the
    terms of parking.

Once an appellant submits that the terms of parking were not displayed
    clearly enough, the onus is then on the operator to demonstrate that the signs
    at the time and location in question were sufficiently clear.

The operator has produced a number of photographs which show the
    parking signage erected at the Fistral Beach car park. These photographs
    were taken during the day time. However, there is no dispute between the
    parties that it was dark when the appellant entered the car park. The
    operator has not produced any evidence to demonstrate that the terms of
    parking were clearly displayed at night time.

Consequently, I must find that the operator has failed to demonstrate that it
    took reasonable steps to bring the terms of parking to the attention on the
    appellant.

I need not consider any other issues.

Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.

:)

Allow me to park a finger in the eye of Parking Eye :P

Thanks again guys and gals for all your help!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, well, another appeal point taken up by the Assessor, even though GPEOL seems to have been part of the appeal.

'Signage' now wins at appeal.

Well done Billy :T.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • trisontana
    Options
    Parking Prankster has just posted a blog where he is highlighting the inordinate leangth of time that POPLA is taking in assessing cases. In addition he has listed the many cases that PE have lost because they cannot prove a true estimator of loss.
  • Parking-Prankster
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Another GPEOL loss for PE (post #24):-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=78341&st=20

I thought this one was worth a blog - 6 months to decide a GPEOL case! Also thanks to all the people who created and maintain this list. I have extracted details from here into the blog too.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/popla-decides-easy-peasy-case-after-189.html
    Hi, we’ve approved your signature. It's awesome. Please email the forum team if you want more praise - MSE ForumTeam
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    That adjudicator obviously knows they are going to lose their job in December when the BPA bins the current supplier of POPLA services.
  • trisontana
    Options
    Another POPLA defeat for UKCPS.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=80580&hl=

"The operator has not produced any evidence to demonstrate that it is the land-owner, or, that it has the authority of the land-owner to issue parking charge notices at this site"
  • AoD
    AoD Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't post for advice on my POPLA appeal but it was based purely on what I have learned as a lurker over the past 5 years! My appeal was based on the usual; no pre-estimate of loss, no contract, invalid notice to driver.

POPLA concentrated on no pre-estimate of loss and ruled;

"In this instance the operator has not provided any evidence to refute the appellant’s submission that the charge does not equal a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore is a penalty clause in contract law which makes it unenforceable."

The PPC was Observices / OPC and interestingly they did provide a copy of a document between OPC and the landowner's agents entitled "Agreement for the Supply of Parking Control Services" which did mention that OPC could pursue through the Courts if necessary!
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Well done to you :) any other lurkers , it's not rocket science winning at popla, the poster above done themselves simply by reading threads.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure