The Great ' Extreme water MoneySaving' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    My water bills are extremely low, single person with water meter. I use my bath water for flushing the toilets. Leave it in the bath and use a plastic jug for the loo in the bathroom, and transfer some of it to a bucket in the downstairs loo. I also collect rainwater for the downstairs loo. I don't have another bath until all water has been used in the toilet. In between baths I wash my bits in a bowl full of water in the kitchen. It's a ridiculous waste of water to bath or shower every day, unless you do a filthy job.

I don't heat my hot water tank, except when I have a bath, usually every two weeks. All other hot water is heated in a pan on the top of the gas cooker, or in a kettle. I wash my hair in a bowl of water in the kitchen sink. Sometimes I put that water in the downstairs loo for flushing, or wash the kitchen floor with it. Sometime I use bath water for washing the car, not very often because I hate that job.

In the summer when there is not much spare water I pee in a bucket and put it on the compost heap. I grow my own veg so if there is not much rain I have to use tap water, but always in a watering can, not a hose pipe. I reckon that growing veg saves me a lot of money, and if I am careful with my water usage in other ways, then I have some to spare for the veg.

I only wash my clothes if they are visibly dirty or smell. None of this putting it in the washing basket every time I take something off. When I have been out I change into my scruffy slobbing around the house clothes and hang the nice clothes back in the wardrobe. The only thing I have clean on every day is my pants.

In answer to Mark Beech .... and we would be likely to become ill if we don't bathe and clean with it. what a load of twaddle. Yes you might become a little unwell if you were an absolutely filthy person living in a filthy house, with no idea of personal hygiene. It is easy to keep yourself and your surroundings clean with very little water if you use it wisely. I am a fit and healthy 64 year old who very rarely becomes ill.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • garden_girl_2
    Options
    I keep a plastic jug in the shower it collects about a litre of cold/warm water before the hot comes through. I then tip into a bucket kept in bathroom, to either water all my house plants, or flush the loo or take and water anything in pots in the garden. I also collect the cold water for the bathroom in in the same way, this is usually more than a litre.

Every little helps......;)
  • garden_girl_2
    garden_girl_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2013 at 2:18PM
    Options
    sorry, meant to say bathroom sink. In the summer when we havent had any rain, i use all washing up water in the garden as well.

I would like to know how to get the water from an upstairs bathroom , down into a water butt. Where can you buy the kits and how are they fitted??
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Using drinking quality water for use in the loo is the crime of the century.
    I have been using rain and laundry water for years.
    And with Anglian Water SoLow tariff the bill is £3 a month, er..tell a lie just been reduced to £2 a month.

We are also on Anglian Water SoLow tariff, but our water bill is double yours at £4 a month (but we are in credit);)
  • I'm not on a meter, but I do use bathwater to refill the toilet cistern. I use an old fabric softener bottle to refill the cistern, and a shower gel bottle to wedge the ball float thingy in place to stop the tap thing refilling the cistern. (So very technical I know, but I'm a biology student, not a plumber!) Working on getting a bucket for rainwater now that autumn's coming on (rain aplenty!)
    It'd be nice to see all new-build houses equipped with rainwater harvesting systems for use in flushing toilets, etc..
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    iris wrote: »
    We are also on Anglian Water SoLow tariff, but our water bill is double yours at £4 a month (but we are in credit);)

I am on that tariff, but only just qualify for it (my usage is on the limit of being cheaper on the standard tariff)
    Can I ask how you get your usage to be that low?

How many of you in the household? There are two us us, me and a six year old I am hoping I can reduce my water bill.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options

I would like to know how to get the water from an upstairs bathroom , down into a water butt. Where can you buy the kits and how are they fitted??

I physically carry mine down in a bowl, don't want to spend any money on it, too mean to buy a kit.
    Ilona
    aka Meanqueen
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I am on that tariff, but only just qualify for it (my usage is on the limit of being cheaper on the standard tariff)
    Can I ask how you get your usage to be that low?

How many of you in the household? There are two us us, me and a six year old I am hoping I can reduce my water bill.

Not for every one Mum and difficult with a child.

Navy shower, washing up bowl, bucket for rainwater/laundry water/catch cold water from hot tap/ whatever.
  • pinmoney
    pinmoney Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure that this is extreme - but to comment that we are supplied by Southern Water, and have had a water meter for just over a year. was paying £36 (ish) pm on the old rates system, and under water meter have reduced that now to £13 per month. (3 adults week 4 adults week end). We use the dishwasher 4-5 times per week, washing machine 3-5 times over the weekend, about 6 showers per week and have a combi boiler which means in the kitchen particularly you need to run the tap for a long time before hot water is hot enough to use. Apparently according to Southern water our water use is comparable to a household with 1 adult. Cant wait for the price to go up! anyone else had a similar experience?:question::wave::wave:
  • pinmoney
    pinmoney Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    P.S. You are so right that new buildings should use rainwater harvesting for loo flushing. i am not sure about using bathwater etc to flush the loo in households with more than one adult - how do visitors react when they have to empty a pail of dirty bathwater?:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure