The Great "Using plastic abroad" Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Sally
Former_MSE_Sally Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 28 August 2013 at 9:13AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Great "Using plastic abroad" Hunt

In Japan for example, you need to find an ATM that accepts international cards. And make sure you get there before it closes (yes, their ATMs aren't always 24/7).

We'd like to hear your experiences/attempts to use your credit and debit cards abroad. Have you encountered problems finding places to withdraw cash? Was chip and pin an alien concept?
Click 'reply' below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren't sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• cjt105
    cjt105 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Foreign cardholders can now use ATMs in 7eleven stores in Japan, which you'll find on every street corner and open 24-7. Most other ATMs won't work, but it's really not an issue.
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Scotiabank in Halifax Nova Scotia wouldn't accept either my Post Office card nor my Halifax Clarity card on a recent trip, The Credit Union (?) ATM in the shopping centre also didn't want to play.

My wife was stood in the que of a discount store that didn't take credit cards with a basket full of stuff and no cash to pay for it. After a slight panic on my part that even though I'd told them I'd be abroad, both card companies had locked the accounts I found a HSBC which accepted the first one I tried.

It was also so nice to have CHIP & PIN in Canada, after a few days in New York where any old signature will do (who remembers to sign the back of the card these days?!) credit card fraud must be rife.
  • Jordo
    Jordo Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Toronto city centre was a nightmare, we found only one machine that would accept our debit (Barclays) or credit (Virgin & PO) cards. This includes not being able to get cash at our hotel.

Was quite funny having to get a cab to this machine and then onwards to wherever we were going!

Tip: if going to Toronto take plenty of cash beforehand!
    Spend what is left after saving. Don't save what is left after spending
  • Linzay
    Options
    Post Office prepaid travel money card - in India. Was only able to use this once in a food shop and once in a bank. The rest of the time the card was always blocked!! No idea why. Spoke to the Post Office but they were not able to give any anwser to the problem.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Never had a real problem using my Nationwide and Halifax cards over the last few years, all over Europe, inc eastern Europe, Singapore, NZ. Did get a one decline on the Halifax card paying for petrol, assumed the card was blocked, but tried it half an hour later at a supermarket (for a larger amount) and it worked!

Looking at my statement now, I almost wish it had been blocked ;)
  • passau91
    passau91 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Back in 2009, when I was travelling around the south of Argentina, I was relying on a prepaid Caxton card which at that time was MasterCard (nowadays, and probably because of the incident, Caxton are now VISA cards - hurrah). It had worked flawlessly, but when I and many other tourists were trying unsuccessfully to get money out of machines over a weekend and then on into the week, we heard from locals that the MasterCard network had failed (not sure if it was worldwide). It then transpired that when MasterCard got their system up and working again, only cards issued in Argentina would work for cash withdrawals. Luckily, I had a back up Nationwide Visa credit card, but every since I have been very chairy of having only MasterCard with me.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2013 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Jordo wrote: »
    Toronto city centre was a nightmare, we found only one machine that would accept our debit (Barclays) or credit (Virgin & PO) cards. This includes not being able to get cash at our hotel.

Was quite funny having to get a cab to this machine and then onwards to wherever we were going!

Tip: if going to Toronto take plenty of cash beforehand!

ANY Scotia bank ATM in Canada should accept your Barclays debit card, Barclays has an agreement with them. If you have found this isn't the case then write to Barclays head office in Canary Wharf to let them know.

I've found it very difficult to pay with Visa credit cards in North America. Most places only accept MasterCard. not sure about debit cards as my credit card is 0% on foreign transactions so I don't use debit.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • quincemeister
    Options
    Very surprisingly, we found that many places in Hong Kong don't accept credit or debit cards.

This made it incredibly difficult to pay the funeral director to collect my Dad's body from the hospital and arrange for him to be flown back to the UK. At what was already a very difficult time this was the last thing we needed and just added to our distress.
  • Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Igol wrote: »
    It was also so nice to have CHIP & PIN in Canada, after a few days in New York where any old signature will do (who remembers to sign the back of the card these days?!) credit card fraud must be rife.

My boss is based in the US and all his cards are non-Chip and pin - causes delays when he's paying for things in the UK as we're so used to chip n pin. He tells me no-one in the US has chip and pin because its not secure and they are too easy to commit fraud with!
  • ElstreeLad
    ElstreeLad Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 August 2013 at 12:38PM
    Options
    A few years ago I successfully used a Nationwide Visa debit card to withdraw cash in 7/11 stores AND Post Offices throughout Japan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure