IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart parking fine - slightly different this one!

Options

Comments

• Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Other than to say that if they're not closely watching the outcomes of the current PE and CEL court strategies then they really are the idiots we all take them to be ...... and they have 6 years to prove us wrong.

The problem is that we are perpetuating this as well. We can't forsee the future so its no point trying. As I said if they are not currently issuing claims then ignore is a better option than popla, lets face it they are refusing appeals and not giving the codes.

And even parking eye are issuing about 300 claims a month on the stats on the foi request, they issue about 1900 tickets a day, with about a third not being paid, so 600 a day minimum every day on average
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    JakeElwood wrote: »
    Well, just been fobbed off by the manager and surprise surprise I cannot upload the copy of the diabled badge to the company website to appeal!
    What was the excuse they used to fob you off?
    Maybe you should get back to them and make threats concerning suing them over breach of the Equalities Act.
  • JakeElwood
    Options
    well the woman was blustering a bit and said I needed to speak to Head Office as there was nothing she could do, out of her hands etc etc.
    I keep trying to upload the appeal document to the website but that isn't working.
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Some ASDAs have signs like this

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79746
    'disabled blue badge holder? register your vehicle at the customer service desk to receive your exemption from this time limit. need longre? just ask.

Why not phone the store and retrospectively register your vehicle at the customer service desk. If they won't do it, phone the manager and ask why his/her store is not clued up like the one in the sign. Get it in writing that you have an exemption then appeal to smart parking.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2013 at 4:33PM
    Options
    JakeElwood wrote: »
    well the woman was blustering a bit and said I needed to speak to Head Office as there was nothing she could do, out of her hands etc etc.
    I keep trying to upload the appeal document to the website but that isn't working.

Post a complaint letter snail mail marked FTAO the Asda Executive Relations Manager (address on Asda's 'contact us' page). Also post a complaint on their facebook page right now. Send a copy to Smart Parking and say:

''See attached complaint about breach of the Equality Act 2010. This is my challenge to your fake PCN, which I have also copied to Asda's Executive Relations Manager because this is a case of disability discrimination. If you decide not to cancel it, take formal notice that I am minded to sue both you and your client (Asda) after dragging you to POPLA adjudication at your own expense. NEVER send me a fake PCN again; my family car is used for transporting my disabled daughter and as such needs to be on a white list of exempt vehicles immediately. I require you to confirm it has been added to your exempt list, when you respond.''

Include a copy of the Blue Badge (purely to prove the disability, not because it's particularly needed nor relevant on private land*) and a copy of the fake PCN, and a copy of this BBC article printed out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8488737.stm

That was written in 2010 before the Equality Act 2010 even became law, and it was unlawful even then (under the old DDA) to impose the same arbitrary time limits on disabled people as allowed for able-bodied customers/visitors.

Here's a similar 'Equality Act breach' complaint I wrote earlier - as SchoolRunMum on a pepipoo thread. I have written quite a few like this, post #13:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79515&st=0

Asda are already aware of the issue, not only from the BBC article from 2010 which they clearly knew about then, but because in some Asda stores they have a 'white list' of exempt vehicles. Require Asda, once they have apologised and called their scumbag dogs off, to add your car reg (quote it) to the white list in the local store(s) so that you never get bothered like this again.

This is NOT LEGAL. Asda are responsible for the actions of their agents and in fact YOU could sue THEM for damages for distress. The last thing you should be doing is thinking of paying the scammers money for disability discrimination against you!

* P.S. Blue badges do NOT apply on private land AT ALL (despite the utter drivel these PPC scammers' signs always say, purely designed to make it easier for them to extort money from unsuspecting people and to give their scam 'fake PCN racket' an air of apparent respectability and make it appear to their clients as if they are giving a nod to disability rights. NOT SO!). So the '3 hr clock' thing isn't important at all. If the time limit for everyone else is, say, 3 hours then you can legally exceed it for an undefined period, as needed/within reason, due to your rights as carers under the Act, due to your daughter's needs. Even if she had no Badge, but that's another debate!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JakeElwood
    Options
    Many thanks, much appreciated.
    Can I use the basic premise of that letter you have linked to and send onto Asda? Obviously changing the details required?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hoohoo wrote: »
    Some ASDAs have signs like this

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79746
    'disabled blue badge holder? register your vehicle at the customer service desk to receive your exemption from this time limit. need longre? just ask.

Why not phone the store and retrospectively register your vehicle at the customer service desk. If they won't do it, phone the manager and ask why his/her store is not clued up like the one in the sign. Get it in writing that you have an exemption then appeal to smart parking.

The Equality Act 2010 gave them an exemption (entitlement to a reasonable adjustment) BY LAW, before they even drove in, so I wouldn't scrabble around trying to pretend the vehicle was always on a white list. Complaints about this disability discrimination will win the day.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let me see if this helps your confidence. Stroma gave you a paragraph from the BPA Code of Practice.

The whole thing is here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS/AOS_CoP_June_2013_update.pdf

If you look at Section 16,

The whole thing reads

16 Disabled motorists
    16.1 The Equality Act 2010 says that providers of services to the public must make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to remove barriers which may discriminate against disabled people.
    16.2 ‘Reasonable adjustments’ to prevent discrimination are likely to include larger ‘disabled’ parking spaces near to the entrance or amenities for disabled people whose mobility is impaired. It also could include lowered payment machines and other ways to pay if payment is required: for example, paying by phone. You and your staff also need to realise that some disabled people may take a long time to get to the payment machine.
    16.3 Operators of off-street car parks do not have to recognise the Blue Badge scheme. But many choose to do so to meet their obligations under the Equality Act. Although a Blue Badge is not issued to all disabled people it is issued to those with mobility problems. So it is a good way for parking operators to identify people who need special parking provision.
    You are at risk of a claim under the Equality Act if you do not discourage abuse of the ‘disabled’ spaces. This means that you need to make sure the spaces are regularly checked to be sure they are not being used by people who do not have a disability.
    16.5 If your landowner provides a concession that allows parking for disabled people, if a vehicle displays a valid Blue Badge you must not issue it with parking charge notices

Please don't make an appeal in the style of your honest OP here.

If you want someone to word it for you, we will, but by saying too much in the appeal, you will kill your chances.

People here do know what they are doing.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    @ OP

Bottom line - as we have suggested from the outset - you a strong i.e. legally backed, case. Set aside the nonsense about being "bang to rights" the truth is that both Asda and Smart Parking have overstepped the mark and need this brought to their attention pronto. These are your daughter's, and by extension, your rights.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    The Equality Act 2010 gave them an exemption (entitlement to a reasonable adjustment) BY LAW, before they even drove in, so I wouldn't scrabble around trying to pretend the vehicle was always on a white list. Complaints about this disability discrimination will win the day.

Agreed. I was not intending to suggest pretending the vehicle was on the white list before the ticket was issued. I do think that a letter to Smart Parking explaining the exemption due to the disabilities act will cause the case to be dropped, and if the confirmation your vehicle is now on a white list is included this can help as proof (as of course could a copy of your blue badge)
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport