The Great 'Games to play on long journeys' Hunt Revisited

Options

Comments

• misty-mitts
    Options
    When my two were quite young, playing 'ducking under the bridges' kept them happy for ages on a motorway. The idea is to look out for any sort of bridge crossing overhead on the motorway, then count down till you get to it, then everyone in the car (except for the driver of course) has to duck their head as you go under.

For very young children we would start the count as a simple 'one, two, three', progressing to doing it backwards 'three, two, one'. Then to longer counts both backwards and forwards. Very good practice for counting, and also for estimating speed, as the countdown had to start at the right time for the speed we were going at, or we'd 'bump our heads' on the bridges.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Mini game whoever spots a mini has to shout out the colour of the car first.

Me, OH and friends have taken it to a new level though :( We now play it when we are walking down the street.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • anders
    anders Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    For youngish children - guess what's in the lorry. Based on what it says on the outside. Good for reading and makes for fun conversations for them.
  • Lel1
    Lel1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    We used to play I spy using colours when the children were little, I spy something the colour of ... Keeps the children entertained and learning their colours
  • pad_the_mad_2
    Options
    Playing the 'Brick Game' is a lot of fun - both with the kids and a car full of adults. Simple in that you just need to name a movie, replacing one of the words in the title with the word 'Brick'.

Almost always starts with Brick Wars and goes downhill from there, with The Good, The Bad and The Brick making an appearance every time too...

:)
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    The counting game. One person starts counting something, eg red cars. Every time a red car goes past they count the next number. Everyone else has to guess what they are counting.

I-spy at the circus/on the farm/at school etc. Makes it slightly harder as you can't see what they are 'spying' so you have to try and work out what you can see on the farm/at school etc.
  • nonniek
    nonniek Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Counting the number of Nobert Detresangle lorries seen versus Eddie Stobart, with half the car routing for one team and vice versa.

Have also played (especially during summer holidays), bikes versus roof boxes.
  • luv2laugh
    Options
    Fun and educational and for any age group. My children have even used it on school coach trips abroad with the entire coach incl. driver joining in. Pick a subject: films, football teams, countries, animals, singers, and everyone has to come up with a different answer to EACH letter of the alphabet. It was even proved that our five year old niece could join in with films and came up with a Disney film for practically every letter of the alphabet! You can even play Snog, Marry, Avoid alphabetically with the right crowd!:j
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We play guess the animal. You think of an animal, the others ask questions, you say yes or no until they guess. Hours of fun....unless you have a 2 1/2 year old who picked the same animal for about 2 hours worth of playing!
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Pick a topic. We usually choose 'animals' - and define it as encompassing every kind of living creature.

The first person says the name of an animal.

The next person has to name an animal which starts with the last letter of the previous animal. And so on.

So:

Tiger
    Raccoon
    Narwhal

'N' gets very frustrating, very quickly, if you rule out 'birds' and 'amphibians'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure